Who can land on instruments alone?

Can anyone land on just the instruments alone? night landing with lowest visibility? I have been practicing but for me it’s pretty hard to get a good landing

2 Likes

exactly like in real life, this is the best way to fly, not just to land!

1 Like

I have, even without an ILS and airport names off, just a flight plan and watching the distance and altitude using the CCX :)

You know you have the right stuff when you logbook has a lot of night hours.
Take a look at you log bet most of your sorties are daylight go’s. Fly GA sometimes. Turn off the HUD on approach, your back in the day. To bad IF has’nt got around to a working six pack yet. With a working six pack in a 172 or SuperD you’ll be reliving the history of flight. Max Sends

I always engage the A/P at about 5.000 ft after takeoff; and about 1.000 ft before landings, in bad weather conditions I wait until 500 ft.
Perfectly lined up to the runway thanks the ILS and touchdown with less than -200 ft/min thanks to my experience :blush:

1 Like

Today I made a very smooth landing as American 950 Heavy in a B77W (GRU - JFK).
Wind conditions forced me to make the Canarsie approach to RWY 13L (entering through the New York Narrows, passing the Canarsie VOR and right turn to the runway).
Visibility was 1/8 mile even out of five miles from the airport.
I disengaged the A/P pretty early (I think it was 1.500 ft) and adjusted the airspeed manually to the Vref speeds.
At 300 ft I was still turning without the runway insight, but I finally noticed it (I first noticed the taxiways, the runway due to bad graphics in low visibility appeared literally invisible from my perspective).
At 150/200 ft I was correctly lined up from the turn without the necessity of any further corrections.
Touched down smoothly with the main gear on the fixed distance mark and 5° pitch.

I was impressed by myself!
A very memorable approach and landing.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

@Laurens. The “Right Stuff”, really a great overview of a perfect IMC recovery.
Text Book. Do good work. (Important reading for the fledglings)

Since I have Airport Names off, I find it much easier to fly, navigate and land at night. Only thing bad is taxiing.

1 Like

Anybody else fly with airport names off?

1 Like

I have done full auto-pilot landings in the past. Here is one I did a little over a year ago in the 208. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyl7nL9uOBw. I’ve been practicing this very thing for the past couple of months in the 737 and have gotten pretty good and consistent with it.

5 Likes

Yes. I have no idea where the hell I am but I can always check the map to see approx where I am.

Long live the DC-9!

I’ve tried landing only instruments but the landing was a “slam-the wheel into the ground” kind of landing. The gear didn’t collapse but it wasn’t good.

I don’t know how to use the ILS system in IF so I just set my heading and descent rate. I control the speed to be perfect for landing. I really don’t care if I’m a little off center of the runway. As long as at least 80% of the wing is in the runway.

Long live the DC-9!

1 Like

I often Practise that too!
:)

That video was recorded just using iPhone, pointed at my iPad. aside from that method I also use reflector.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Hi!

Why can’t we land by fully using the Autopilot?