White Knuckle Landing Attempt - Birmingham

An Airbus a319 attempted to make a crosswind landing with gust at 44 at Birmingham today.

Interesting because I just took off from there last night.

3 Likes

I would change this to #real-world-aviation but idk why the pilots would risk that in 44 knot winds. I think grounding would be better

Edit: thanks @BobbyRobert

1 Like

Not #real-world-aviation:spotting, more just #real-world-aviation. I’ve moved it.

2 Likes

I was debating which one, wasn’t sure. Thank you!

Generally #real-world-aviation:spotting is just for planespotting and the things related to it such as camera recommendations.

That is either one confident and/or idiotic pilot.

1 Like

If the pilots were trying to land the plane, grounding the plane would be the last thing they want to do. However, 44 mph crosswind is pretty strong as you can see from the video so you are right about the landing being risky move.

The creator of the vid (flugsnug) said that the wind was switching from a headwind to crosswind making approaching really difficult.

1 Like

That’s above there tolerances unless I’m mistaken…

I didn’t think they were allowed to land if the winds were higher than 30knts.

1 Like

Ya, so I supose they were low on fuel? Or the storm was so large it was pointles. Otherwisr they would have diverted…

I’ve been in one there fun and terrifying

That’s what I’m assuming. If they were able to divert then that pilot should get a good slap on the wrist. If they were low on fuel then that was poor planing on the pilots part.

You really think they attempted a landing whilst knowing it was beyond the company imposed limits of the pilots and aircraft?

They might of if it was there only option.

How do you know it was their only option?

I don’t. That is what me and @KPIT are speculating about. We’re assuming that was there only option. Why else would a A319 land in 44 knot crosswind.

1 Like

well not that i want to spoil a good story, but last Wednesday there was no point at EGBB where the crosswind component was at 44kts. also the wind was not perpendicular to the runway orientation either so whilst winds peaked around the low 30s kts it wasn’t all crosswind component. you will note the story mentions winds in mph not kts btw. low 30 kts even if it was all crosswind is permissible for a landing.

https://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2.php?lang=en&lugar=egbb&tipo=ALL&ord=REV&nil=SI&fmt=html&ano=2018&mes=09&day=19&hora=00&anof=2018&mesf=09&dayf=19&horaf=23&minf=59&send=send

the idea that professional pilots would go around like cowboys attempting dangerous landings which are outside the aircraft limits is perhaps best left for Hollywood.

2 Likes

I’m been on two of those kinds of landings, sometimes there isn’t an option, it’s weird seeing the centerline out the window.

Ok lets clear this up all. This was not stated as 44 kt winds. This was stated as 44 mph winds. That is around 38kts. A large difference. As stated by @ATK this wasnt a true crosswind thus the aircraft was not exceeding it’s crosswind component nor is it stated this was sustained velocity and not gusts. The news has a way of exaggerating things and this is no exception. The METAR history from this weekend at EGBB shows the highest sustained winds as 22mph with the maximum wind gusts as 38mph. From yesterday (the expected time of the landing)the METAR history for winds reads 32019G31KT meaning the crosswind component was still within the 35kt crosswind component for turbojet aircraft

3 Likes

That is crazy, I could only imagine the response as a passenger.