Which Throttle position at landing

How much power are you setting on the throttle when very close to landing (200 ft. and less)?
Because I heard that before flaring you should have your throttle set quite high in order to butterize the landimg

2 Likes

Although “butterize” is not in my vocabulary, the throttle should be set at whatever percentage in order to maintain the proper landing speed. However, when you begin your flare at about 20 feet AGL, you bring the throttle to 0%, and when you are at about 5 feet AGL, you can push the throttle forwards a bit to ease the descent of the aircraft into the ground.

5 Likes

Use enough throttle to keep the aircraft on the glideslope. How much throttle you need to achieve this will depend on the weight of the aircraft. Dont think too much about settings like the throttle position. Instead you should focus on flying the aircraft onto the runway and touching down in a smooth and controlled manner. With some time and practice it becomes instinctive and you won’t even need to think about it.

2 Likes

Right when I land I put the throttle in neutral… Sometimes when I land, when I put the throttle up right when touching down it will actually increase the pitch of the nose of the plan which will eventually increase the altitude of the plane… At least that happens for me

#FixedIt
As for your question:
When you’re at 1000’ you should be at Vapp, on glideslope on localizer and throttles spooled up to maintain Vapp. When you cross the threshold at 50’ you can begin the roundout and flare and depending on the wind conditions you may start slowly bringing the throttle back. If not too windy-20-30’ in the flare is when you should bring the throttle back to idle.

2 Likes

What is VAPP

Vapp is Approach speed.

For eg.

Vstall: Stall speed etc.
(Theres a lot of types of stall speed, like stall in dirty configuration etc)

so just before flaring I put at 50% N1 or something near that

At 20ft AGL, I put the throttle at idle

Please tell me I’m not the only person who uses auto pilot speed on landing.
I think they do that in real life too

2 Likes

When I started playing IF, I was doing the same.

No but, I don’t see why everyone uses it with their hand, it’s a lot smarter to keep it on autopilot.

I’m an IPP and I still do that😂

Without A/P is nice to control your decent, but I hate in IF that throttle change after you touch it, and not after you move it(Or you have to touch it 100000% in the middle)

Even if I touch close, it change a few % because I touch a bit higher or lower.
I know this is because you can tap at the top of the throttle to set 100% e.g, but I prefer to slide it up.

So because of this I also often use A/P while a approach.

1 Like

No, you want to be at 0 N1 when flaring

1 Like

I said just before flaring. (Which for me is about 10 seconds) but yes I keep at 0% N1 for flaring

1 Like

Not for all planes tho.

1 Like

The way I swing things is at 30ft reduce the aircraft power to idle gently and hold the modest the desired angle for the flare and don’t let the nose drop 👊🏻👍🏻

1 Like

Very nicely said by @David_Beckett.
Fly the aircraft and not numbers. Focus on aircraft pitch attitude. Be it V/s while climbing or throttle on final or any other stage. There’s no thumb rule as to what no is perfect. But if just focus on keeping the aircraft stable and wings level. Just adjust other settings around it.

1 Like

Vapp is your approach speed, Vref (or Vls in an Airbus) is your landing (or Touchdown speed)

Vapp starts at Vref for the aircraft weight and landing flap setting and takes into account wind additive factors.

For most Boeing/Embraer/MD/DC aircraft, Vapp is
Vref plus 1/2 the steady headwind and all of the gust factor.

Example:
Boeing 737-700
Weight 60000kg/132000lb
Flaps 30 Vref=135kt
Wind is direct headwind at 8kt gust 12
Vapp would be
135+ 4kt (1/2 headwind) + 4kt (all the gust)
For a Vapp of 143kt
See chart:

For Airbus A32X family aircraft Vapp is
Vls (or Vref) + 5kt + 1/3 Headwind (NO gust)

So for an A320 at MLW of 146K lbs/66000kg
assuming a direct headwind of 9kt gusting 12kt
The Vapp calculation would be:
Vls of 137kt + 5kt + 3kt (1/3 HW no gust)=
Vapp of 145kt
See chart below:

Once I started using the Vapp speeds in IF (and at virtualBlue we’ve tested all of the speeds we have charts for in IF) my landings went from between poor and just ok to consistently excellent

1 Like