Which San Francisco Bay Area Airport is Your Favorite?

I wasn’t saying that as a bad thing lol. ONT used to be my home airport. SJC and ONT are both near mountains and both have two runways and are a major airport for Southwest. And when you depart from Ontario, you have a beautiful view of the Los Angeles Basin, so yes ONT is surrounded by good things.

You should also include KTPA

With Miami? They’re about 204 miles apart.

A safe way to define a city with multiple airports is if they don’t have scheduled commercial flights to each other…

Ex: No flight from LAX-LGB/BUR/SNA, SFO-SJC/OAK, DFW-DAL, HOU-IAH, JFK-EWR/LGA, etc.

Ah, but SJC is bigger than ONT in terms of passenger traffic and destinations
And it has a right loop when departing!

Companies like Google, Apple, Facebook, PayPal, Intel, Cisco, etc are in the area surrounding SJC

SJC sits right in the middle of a tech capital

I don’t think SJC is anything like ONT other than the fact that it has 2 parallel runways, is surrounded my hills and Southwest is the dominant carrier.

Hopefully you come to SJC sometime after you’ve been to both SFO and OAK

San Francisco International is an amazing airport, but you can’t really compare it directly to San Jose.

If you’re talking about convenience, SFO could also be in the lead because they have more staff, more space to walk around, more signs, and you can get through immigration and security quickly on good days. I’ve flown from both and departed both multiple times before, and I can say that while SFO has bad days when the lines are long, SJC does too.

There are many places to visit in San Francisco as well, so if we’re talking about the actual city it’s in, San Francisco probably wins.

Also, the flights. SFO has so many more flights a day to various countries including China, Israel, India, the UAE, and more. SJC only has flights to Mexico, Canada, China, Japan, the UK, and domestic flights. There are so many more options from SFO which makes it easier to fly nonstop.

1 Like

It looks like SFO won this poll! Go check out my New York City Airport poll!

That airport has so many delays. The only time I see that it is more convenient than San Jose is its amount of destinations

But if San Jose has nonstops to those destinations, they are more convenient, especially for business travelers

San Jose has less nonstops to many destinations though, making it inconvenient for many travelers. Also, San Jose is a huge tech city, but San Francisco has many companies too so it depends.

Also, San Francisco has delays just like any other large airport. Most of those delays aren’t even in the airport’s control, because they’re due to low clouds or wind conditions that only allow two of the runways to be used.

1 Like

But the SJC custom is terrible, compared to SFO. The SJC custom and border security is very hostile to Chinese int’l students.
I flew back to China during my vacation. The SJC border control wants to question me why I flew back so often. I mean, It is legal to flew back to China multiple times a year. How many times I flew back is none of your business. I go back home often because I miss my family and old friends!!! SFO and LAX never ask about it. That’s why SJC is bad.

Why don’t you say that an airport custom worker is bad? Why are you blaming it on the airport?

Many US Customs Patrol Officers are very paranoid because they want to keep the US as secure as possible. Some are more paranoid than others. You probably just got unlucky. Don’t blame an airport for a bad worker.

Just like don’t blame United because a flight attendant killed a puppy. That’s on the flight attendant. Not United. (@GlobalFlyer1 I defended your favorite airline 😂)

2 Likes

SJC has low clouds and winds as well. The airport is pretty close to the bay.

And the only way the airport can be more inconvenient than SFO is because of its amount of nonstop destinations. But when you compare a destination that both SFO and SJC has, like SEA, SJC can be way more convenient.

1 Like

But I never met this sort of thing in larger international airports such as LAX and SFO. That’s the point.

Cause you ran into a bad worker. That’s why

Again, you’re blaming an airport because of a bad worker

1 Like

If this had happened multiple times with many workers, and only at SJC, then maybe something is wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s different. When there are low clouds at SFO, there are more flights arriving and most of the times, there aren’t any low clouds at SJC (I can see the area above the airport from my house)

Sure SJC can be more convenient in some cases, but I mean there isn’t too much of a comparison since it depends 🤷🏻‍♂️

SJC is convenient? The routes from there are wayy too limited. It doesn’t even have a flight to SBA (worse than Oakland).
I can easily take a flight from SBA to McCarran to fly back to China.

dividing line---------------------------------------------------
@anon57683537 After it happens to me once, I no longer want to risk my future on that airport. I think maybe next time, they’ll send me to the “small black room” to ask me more questions

1 Like

Actually, I’ve seen low clouds at SFO at all times of the day. It could come at anytime during the day. I was there for my SEA flight at 5am in the morning and there were low clouds. I departed SFO for CLT and there were low clouds

During the winter, low clouds come even more often so SFO can be very unreliable during their busiest times. And this can come especially if the 19s are used for landings and 10s are used for takeoffs. They can’t handle it.

SJC in the winter despite bad weather, can get you to your destination with minimal delay. I’ve tracked SJC and it’s longest delays during winter are mainly because of the flight’s destination airport.

Unless we talk about destinations, SJC is more convenient than SFO especially in winter and rainy seasons

Well they have Contour which flies the route.

I have to say that SJC can be convenient in some cases as it’s a mere 5 minutes from my house, but on some days, it can be a nightmare like every other airport.

Yeah, but weather isn’t something you can control. Many times, San Francisco has bad weather because of its location, something the airport can’t control itself.

SJC just doesn’t get that type of weather very often 🤷🏻‍♂️

So San Jose is worse than Oakland because it doesn’t have a route to one place?

San Jose has direct service to China, England, and Japan. Does Oakland have it? I don’t think so

1 Like