Which lights?

I have a question… When to turn on which lights and (optionally) why?

• Strobe lights are only meant to be used when crossing a runway, and during takeoff, landing and all phases of flight.
  • Landing lights are only on when crossing runways and when flying under 10,000 feet, landing and takeoff.
  • Beacon lights are always on when the engines are running/during pushback.
  • Nav lights are always on as long as the master battery/APU is on.
6 Likes

Thanks! That’s what I needed!

1 Like

AGL, and also on takeoff

2 Likes

I turn NAV’s on as soon as I spawn, beacon when I’m starting engines, strobes and landings when I cross/turn on to active runway, then after 10000’ I turn off the Landings and leave the NAV, Beacon, and strobe running.

6 Likes

Just to issue a slight correction: landing lights should not be turned on when crossing the runway. It is quite frowned upon in the airline community as the landing lights are incredibly bright and may blind other pilots (especially at layouts similar to JFK).

If you’re given a LUAW command by ATC, enter the runway with strobes on but keep the landings lights off until given the takeoff clearance. On Unicom you can enter the runway with lights on as you’re giving the clearance yourself.

1 Like

You’re right, I have heard this before! The same is also said about strobes in some places as well! But thanks for the clarification

2 Likes

Some VA’s slightly vary on when lights are on/off but generally I generally have Nav and beacon on for push then have strobe on an active runway and in flight. and what Joe said for landing lights.

1 Like

Check out this cool topic by @Maxmustang. :]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.