Which is the correct procedure to avoid ballooning?

I’ve been trying the A320 family, and noticed that they balloon when they’re close to the runway due to ground effect (not available on other aircrafts).

In my last attempt, after hearing the 100ft callout, I turned off the SPD, on 50ft, I reduced the throttle a bit and the aircraft descended onto the runway with its nose pitching up to the point of almost reaching a positive VS, and at 10ft I idled the throttles and landed.

How do I avoid this?

2 Likes

You land with A/T ?

(Auto-Trust)

1 Like

Until 200ft-100ft, then I turn it off.

Maybe try reducing your speed more before touchdown or idling the engines slightly before 10ft, have a few attempts and work out what timings are best for you

1 Like

Airbus has the “retard” warning at 10ft don’t they?

Basically the best time to turn A/T off is at 2500ft AGL But if you want tu turn it off try setting a speed of about 140 IAS

1 Like

They do but I’m not sure what altitude it’s called out at, maybe the physics of IF are slightly different and require you to idle the engines and flare a bit earlier.

2 Likes

I’m not having issues with IF, so it stays in General. I’m asking how to land without ballooning.

Everything is off except SPD, and my final approach speed is of 135kts when crossing the threshold (for the A318-A320).

It’s between 20 and 10

3 Likes

Whats your weight?

Normal weight.

Avoid “ballooning” is impossible, ground effect will always be there.

• 500 ft or anything above: Turn OFF the whole A/P
— Maintain 2°/3°pitch attitude
• 30 ft: cut throttles
— Maintain 2°/3° pitch attitude
• 20/10 ft: Flare until max 5° pitch attitude

You won’t fail.

@mbmhwue148 There is no Autothrottle/Autothrust system in IF.

In Kilograms please…?

6 Likes

What is ballooning?

He means the Ground Effect.

I still don’t understand, whats wrong with that?

@Laurens

Nothing actually, but some users struggle to get the aircraft on the ground.

I mean the speed A/P

Everything I do according to you but I turn AP at 100-150 feet…

That’s very late…

3 Likes