Where’s The Thunder? Over Flagstaff @FLG

Went to my first air show since before 2019 yesterday with it being Thunder Over Flagstaff.

But it unfortunately did lack the thunder. The main attractions were 2 f-35s and a kc135 on static display where you were able to go inside and tour the Kc135 and talk to actual crew members of that aircraft.

there were also a handful of old warbirds and military helicopters on display as well as a flying club consisting of about 8 Vans RV kit aircraft.

The only flying displays of the show were the older military warbirds and the flying club of Vans.

onto the photos

f-35 staredown

the static Kc-135 with the nice pine trees of flagstaff in the background

one of the warbirds and what looks to be a kit aircraft perform a low flyby

another warbird performs its solo flyby and giving the crowd a wing-wave

a different duo performs another flyby

let me know your thoughts about this photo

the flying club “scorpions” consisting of those Vans aircraft perform their first flyover

and then their second which after we left.

bonus photo of the Kc-135 flightdeck

favorite?
0 voters
rate!
0 voters

thanks for viewing

26 Likes

Amazing shots! I didn’t realize Flagstaff had an Airshow

1 Like

Wow, these are great! Even before I read your description, I immediately thought, “look at those unmistakable Flagstaff pine trees” behind the KC135’s nose.

I was wondering about this too. It’s not that big, and its elevation is 7,000 feet. It’s density altitude can exceed 10,000 feet. Does this affect what they can do?

Also, this is a favorite destination in IF for me.

But thanks for these wonderful photos!

1 Like

Same for me as well

2 Likes

I didn’t either until Friday night and the show was Saturday

yes it does, while it may just be demand, the only passenger aircraft they receive is the CRJ-700. The airport does see C17s and such every so often for military exercises

1 Like

I love the old warbirds. Great photos thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Amazing pics! Great lighting on top of it!

1 Like

Love Flagstaff. Such a beautiful area. Lovely photos!

2 Likes

Wonderful photos! Love seeing all the instruments/panels inside the cockpit of the kc-135.

This is really reminding me that I need to go to an airshow again sometime

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.