Where’s the “Emergency Fuel” button?

I’m at KFLL on the ES right now and I have less than 10 minutes of due remaining (a really bad miscalculation)! I have just taken off from there and have tuned out of the tower frequency, but now want to turn around to make an emergency landing. I remembered there used to be an emergency fuel button that would tell the ATC your fuel remaining; where is it now?

You have to be flying for i think an hour or something and have like 1% of fuel left… Something along those lines.

2 Likes

Land at another nearby airport (if possible) and refuel there

But I also like the drama of an emergency landing 🤫

1 Like

Especially for an FNF, you shouldn’t be doing that kind of stuff. Just land somewhere that you can, ATC or Not.

2 Likes

I saw u in a B789 about 20mins ago, was that you @Vinne?

1 Like

How do you make a miscalculation that severe? Check, double check, triple check! Always cross reference your planned fuel with fuel onboard prior to takeoff.

On a similar note, always plan at least 45 minutes of reserve fuel. I usually have an hour in reserve when flying into a FNF or any busy airport (because you never know what kind of shenanigans might occur), plus a little extra to get me to an alternate field in case I need to divert. For long distance flights over water, I plan even more fuel in reserve to cover ETOPS.

3 Likes

Yeah, as one of the older members of the IFC and want to be a pilot, you should not be forgetting this stuff.

2 Likes

🤣 right it’s amazing

1 Like

Just land at a different nearby airport. Don’t cause the ATC to vector you through all the other traffic because you “forgot” to add enough fuel. Also, you need to be flying for at least an hour to be an emergency. Still, I also like the feeling of being an emergency aircraft, but it’s not fair to do it during an FNF.

2 Likes

To be honest, at an FNF or any other busy event the low fuel alerts are basically useless. Even if you did have access to them immediately after takeoff ATC will just advise that you divert because they can’t just let you jump the line. If they did try to accommodate your specific needs everyone else would be forced to wait even longer which isn’t fair. FNF landing queues are enough of a pain already.

8 Likes

@Vinne… MaxSez: TS and a Pilot Error… A year on the job and this Rookie Mistake! Plus your Unfamiliar with your flying machines switchology, or an intentional Error!. Either way shame on you!
MaxSends

3 Likes

Alright, noted everything. But u still haven’t got an asset for the actual question!

I think it appears when the fuel gets below a given amount. It happened to me once.

There isn’t an emergency fuel button available for you in this situation. The emergency fuel button is designed to be used by people who don’t understand the concept of reserve fuel, or perhaps for the more realistic diversion / holding for a long time scenario.

To avoid trolls, I think the button now appears after you have flown an hour in that aircraft.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.