When your approach guy logs off... 😧

Number 7, cleared to land!

@MatteoSerra24 had to go, and these 7 pilots had to try and maintain their own separation - with help from me.

w/ @Rotate, @Guilherme_Matheus, Shuttle 5 60, Angola Super, BAW1717, United 14 69, Air France 750, N429HK, Air Berlin 7 5 etc.

Hold short, Runway 09.

@MishaCamp was also on the ground, to add to the pressure! 😂

Let me know how I did if you visited EGNX this afternoon on the advanced server! 😎

3 Likes

Just an ATC observation:
The way i know it, permision to land goes to the first on final assuming the runway and going around vector is clear.
how can u clear number 7 to land? the planes position in the pattern is constantly in motion and can change in a second…
Whats your logic behind it?

**things said in an open and willing to learn manner **

1 Like

@Moshik_Barkan,

Planes are cleared on base or long final.

The runway does not need to be “clear” to clear an aircraft to land. It simply signifies that the tower has made space for that aircraft.

A go around can be called, if at minimums, the pilots are not happy to continue the landing because of traffic (or for any other reason). ATC can also call this go around.

That is why there are sequence numbers for aircraft, so that they know how many planes are to land before them - and therefore who to follow.

IFATC Tom Hitchings

1 Like

@htchngs
I used to be a millitairy atc so i guess other rules apply in civilian aviation.
So what youre saying is as long as i got thenlm in sequens i can approve all of them to land?
If so, what happens if the runway is blocked?
Beside that what station were you operating in the uper picture?

All very interesting . A fine topic for a Controllers Training Session. From the bare bones nature of the initial post I can’t find its relevance as a live topic. If there is pls splane it to me. Max Sends

That was me. I was the BA E-190.

1 Like

Traffic to follow is an Embraer on a 2 mile final. Report traffic in sight. Maintain visual separation.

1 Like

I didn’t get to land, I had to clean up the apartment. I had my second cousins come over, but next time I will. I just had a little premature departure.

As @htchngs said we typically clear on base or long final. But landing clearance can be revoked at any time. By issuing of a a go around or just cancelling the clearance. 7 is a lot to clear all at once but if the controller is aware of his traffic then their isn’t a problem with doing this.

2 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

1 Like

This just happened to me at EGBB, I was on ground and tower, very busy but running smoothly thanks to help from approach controller (Matt Woolford I think). Then he had to go and it very quickly all becomes too much to handle for one person !
Credit to @htchngs for sticking with it, he clearly has more skill and patience. I just did the classic “rage quit”, shame on me ! Apologies if you were there and felt short changed of service, having said that, dinner was almost ready, afraid that takes priority over even ATC ☺

1 Like

This happened on the Advanced Server on IF Live?

1 Like

@htchngs… I guess that’s splains it… Still appears an ATC Training issue to me. Find “Rage Quit” revealing. They used to tell me when I worked in the HTACC in Osan “if you can’t hack the pace don’t get into the race”! Just sayin. Max Sends

1 Like

Meh. When a controller logs off on me I get a bit irritated for a second, then remember this is just something we do in our free time. No one has any obligations to stay online and active here. Unless someone is going to start paying controllers.

@AR_AR To clarify: @MatteoSerra24 had already told that he was going to log off, and I was fine with that - but then suddenly there was an influx of traffic and it got a bit crazy 😂

@MatteoSerra24 is a legend though 😎

It was awesome controlling as per. I’ll make a point of flying around more when you are controlling ((:

1 Like

@AR_AR… Your Absolutly right AR. It’s a volunteer operation. If “they” choose not to commit to high tempo operations they should resign! They will not be missed. There is a long line of volunteers waiting for the call. Nobody promised anybody a rose garden.
Max Sends

1 Like

Landing clearance procedures vary greatly based on region and civilian/military. I do not believe the EU (France being the exception) clears anything past #1 to land. Different practices everywhere. However, most of IF will follow FAA/Military procedures.

3 Likes

Interesting point, Max. But no matter how committed they are, they are doing this on their free time as a hobby. If their wife calls or they need to take a dump, I couldn’t blame them for leaving the game.

If we have people though willing to make a very dedicated commitment, agreed they should be at the front of the line. Will be hard to find mature adults willing to make that commitment though.

1 Like

@AR_AR Agree AR… After a year I would have thought that there would be some method developed like; scheduled time blocks, Controller Teams of 4 to open full node, Regional Schedules ( which rotated Regions to in sure full use of what’s available). Many ways to run a railway but the Shotgun Method is inefficient and flawed. At this point Johnny goes to his favorite purch and never expand his knowledge base. Learning one Tower and remaining there for a lifetime does not make for a well rounded, efficient and cohesive “Service” Organization. Max Sends

2 Likes