When will terrain be added in the north?

Topic has been on my mind and I read the posts before saying it was difficult, but’s it’s been 3 years and curious if it’s in development or even if it’s on the developers minds to add fully loaded terrain in the north.

Love flying up north in Alaska but hate cutting by my trip short in Juneau because the flights gets unrealistic with the flat terrain.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but is there no available satellite imagery, etc. at those latitudes? I think I’ve seen this before but I’m unsure.

Here is a link explaining why:

3 Likes

Due to the system the game runs on, there’s no satellite imagery up there and it couldn’t be placed there due to the way it came as imagery. They are switching to project metal soon, but I don’t know if that will fix it. You’re gonna have to ask one of the developers about that

Short answer: IF relies on public domain data from NASA, as they don’t have millions to spend on topographical data north of 60 degrees like google had.
Short answer but by staff member: Elevation Data Above and below 60 Degrees - #6 by schyllberg

Patrick is right there is no satellite imagery up there for a while, for like a decade or more according to schllyburg

Thanks for the confirmation Tyler. Also, don’t know if you saw the edit or not but I added this to my reply, which is an interesting read to understand your question.

That won’t fix the issue unfortunately.

When Infinite Flight gets a satellite to do it themselves

1 Like

Ah, I see. That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Answer provided