When to use your aircraft lights

seeming as my last post i did on this was closed as the last reply went past the 3months. i feel the need to repost this as im still seeing people use strobe lights on taxiways and also not having their landing lights on under FL100: Even on the Expert server!

Commercial aviation

Navigation lights = when taxing or flying in the night or when electrical power is on. Keep on till complete shutdown. basically keep on anytime the aircraft is powered.

Beacon lights = turn on before engine start up. turn off after engine shutdown. Must be on when the aircraft is moving, even when the aircraft engines are off - for example when being Towed, the beacon must be on.

Strobes = turn on when on a runway(also use when crossing a runway) and keep on when airborne

Landing lights = turn on when you are cleared for take-off, if you are told to line up and wait, keep them off until you are cleared to take-off. keep on until passing 10000ft. when landing turn them on when passing under 10000ft and keep on till you vacate the runway.

Taxi lights = during taxi

Logo = turn on when on the ground, when taxing. turn off when airborne, and turn back on before landing

General aviation

Navigation lights = when taxing or flying in the night

Beacon lights = turn on before engine start up, turn off after engine shutdown. Must be on when the aircraft is moving, even when the aircraft engines are off - for example when being Towed, the beacon must be on.

Strobes = Night - on when on a runway and airborne and at daytime - optional

Landing lights = Night - for take-off and landings, in the daytime - on final (optional)

Taxi lights = when needed for taxi

I do hope this helps you a lot, and also in the future as some of these lights we don’t even have yet in Infinite Flight.

ALL INFORMATION IS FROM THE FAA - FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION

This topic is in General as it is Real life, but also will help in Infinite Flight

42 Likes

Great post, especially useful for those who have just started out (grade 1s and 2s).

4 Likes

The beacon lights aren’t only for engine run up, if your aircraft is about to begin manoeuvring under external forces such as push back or towing, you should be turning on your beacon light.

5 Likes

When I worked at Atlas and every other airline including my current company we keep them on, once they go in they stay on. That’s how ground crew know engines are running once it goes off it’s safe to move to the aircraft

5 Likes

This is really useful! Not really to me but a whole lot of others!! Great post.

2 Likes

So beacon flights can be stayed on also when flying?

3 Likes

yeah they have too. when ever the plane is moving or has its engines on

1 Like

oh ok, thank you. I always turned off the beacon lights when flying.

1 Like

Great summary. Thanks.
Guess that it will be really helpful, as I notice the wrong usage so often.
Thanx ;-)

1 Like

Excellent summary and very detailed, I like it. Personally I already knew these bases there and I use them daily during my flight. This article is very useful especially for beginners who are not too used to use them. At least they will learn to use it regularly like that, everyone is in good standing ;-)
Thanks so much !

1 Like

Still seeing people use lights incorrectly.

1 Like

Only if we had taxi lights… it would be good too, also great post!

1 Like

Prehaps one day we shall.

If you still don’t get when to use aircraft lighting on the ground check this out it’s very helpful Landing Lights & Strobes

Hi, here’s a nice video from Captain Joe explaining all the lights:

Thank you @Ondrejj. But who will actually listen or watch that video and come out at the end know when to use their lights?

I feel so unrealistic when pilots turn on those landing lights and Strobe lights once they spawn in or during taxing leave all the lights on… eventhough in Expert server

4 Likes

Nice job,another great thread to help those who don’t know

2 Likes

@Johnny_Green please look here!

I believe max made a similar post about this.