When to request landing?

Hello IFC! When there is no radar controller, when should request landing? I usually request as soon as I get on tower which is about like 30 NM out of the airport, but I don’t want to fill up the frequency if I can call inbound later? So, what is a good distance to call inbound?

A good distance to call inbound to tower is 25NM and below 10,000 feet out. That is the boundary of their airspace. Of course, you can call inbound farther out or more closer. I’m sure the controller won’t mind. :)

2 Likes

I call in max 20 miles out, really there’s no point to call in asap.

1 Like

To add on to what’s been said above, here is an in-depth guide on communicating with ATC, which includes when to call in to any frequency and what to request.

Infinite Flight Pilot Communications Manual

2 Likes

I can imagine if you’re more than 25NM out the controller will tell you „continue inbound“ as it’s hard to judge which number you are.

1 Like

It all really depends on the situation and the positions of the the aircraft.

3 Likes

I personally prefer if the airspace is busy that you call in early so I have time to see where you can fit in. But if the airspace is slow then 19-20ish nm out would be fine. But @Robert_Mustillo’s link is a great resource.

2 Likes