When to lower gear

So I was looking for topics for when to lower gear and couldn’t find a list saying so i decided to make one.

A318

About 8NM from the runway.

A319

A320

Between 7-8NM from the runway.

A321

About 7NM from the runway.

A330

About 5-6NM from the runway.

A340

A380

About 4-5NM from the runway.

717-200

737-700

737-800

737-900

About 6-7NM from the runway.

747 series

About 4-5NM from the runway.

757-200

About 6NM from the runway.

767-300

777 series

4-5NM from the runway

787 series

About 5NM from the runway.

CRJ 700/900/1000

About 8-9NM from the runway.

CRJ 200

About 9NM from the runway

E170/175

About 7-8NM from the Runway

E190/195

7NM from the runway.

Thanks for stopping by if you have any questions please PM me.

7 Likes

Please tell me if this is a duplicate or if it’s good to go.

1 Like

Surely you would just do it at the same time for pretty much most aircraft?

28 Likes

No because on heavies the gear creates more drag so it is better to lower the gear later @Chatta290

1 Like

I do it at 2500 feet AGL

4 Likes

But they take longer to lower which is why I lower them at 10nm out for Heavies that is. And 7-8 for lighter aircraft.

Usually 8-10nm is the standard I use for most of my flights, though 10nm is the distance where I lower the gears for all my heavies, sometimes even 11-12nm while lighter aircraft, they can vary and be flexible, so I may lower the gears on them anywhere between 6-10nm.

5 Likes

Yep, me too.

I personally never lower them on distance, but on instinct (about 1 minute to landing)
I’m one of those people 😒

4 Likes

Creating drag is not bad thing is it? What if aircraft’s very light? I don’t think you can have set distance…it all can be do to aircraft’s stabilised on approach and after flaps 20 whatever for the aircrafts specific. IRL they could drop in specific place whatever the aircraft’s to do with noise for example.

1 Like

I lower the gear usually between 5-8 nm on all aircraft. It depends if I feel like I need the drag and if I do, I lower them farther out buf if not I lower them at around 5 nm

3 Likes

Yep! there is no specific distance it’s all about what stage you are on and stabilised…5nm -10nm :D

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in #tutorials or #tutorials:flight?

Personally my favorite time to lower gear is at 40ft AGL, and my favorite aircraft gear animation has the be the Cessna 172 :)

3 Likes

2000ft AGL is the standard procedure I believe

Thats something your airline establishes in the Operations Manual and is not aircraft type specific. Here is the part of our OM-A , the operating procedures part where it says Landing Configuration ( includes LDG Down ) not later then 1000 ft above threshold elevation

5 Likes

What if you are doing traffic pattern or flying cessna? Like I said there is no fit all condition numbers

Yeah, it says aircrafts must be stabilized. That’s magic word we are looking for.

Do you have any references to the source information for these? Some of these seem further than what most do.

5 Likes

the source is our Operations Manual or what do you mean ? i just copied the part about the approach procedures and final approach procedures.

Great list! Weight matters so I probably/usually do it based on anytime before 3nm our where I could use drag (which is usually on light aircraft, I agree with your list)