When to give exit runway command for light aircraft?

Hi all, as you may have noticed I am practicing on atc threads to become an IFATC.
Question: When should we give exit command and at what speed to light aircrafts who land at under 80kts and how would we know if they are fullstopping, if they only say “cleared for the option” without saying they are on “full stop”. I know for the other aircrafts, we give exit runway at around 60-70kts, but what about the light aircrafts especially if they land at a lower speed. How would we know? Thanks! ex. TBM 930, cessna

Normally exit runway commands should be given between 70 knots and 40 knots!

1 Like

Oh okay, I thought it is only between 60-70 kts

1 Like

Hey,

If it’s not very busy, I usually give exit commands for non-light propeller aircraft at 40-60kn — this is to prevent pilot pressure and a roll over at a quick turn. For light aircraft, if not busy, I’d issue the exit at 45-55kn. If it’s busy, I go for the earliest possible (70kn). At busy FNF/Hub airports, I have even issued them at 80kn (last time to ensure the correct turn direction). Sorry if that seems complicated; it’s just my way, not the textbook.

To be technically correct, issue exits at 70kn or below, but it can depend on your style and the business. The textbook allows you to make your judgment on when the aircraft is “controlled.” If you don’t believe a C172 is controller at 70kn, don’t issue it then.

You shouldn’t issue exit commands to aircraft cleared for the option. Remember — the option covers a full-stop landing, stop and go, low pass flyover, and touch and go. The pilot should (and normally would) issue their intention to full stop if they want to land and leave the pattern. If they’re turning off the runway having been cleared for the option, simply give them a frequency change to Ground.

Thanks,
Patrick

1 Like

Understood now, thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.