When to estimate V1 and V2?

Hey!
I was wondering when to calculate V1 and V2 because I have been drifting a lot on the Runway.
Thanks

You can use FPLtoIF.com or IFassistant. If you are drifting on the runway then I would suggest you land at between 140 and 160 knots depending on aircraft and load.

3 Likes

I never find the V1 Vr V2 speeds 100% accurate on FPLoif.com.

So I trust my intuition and depending on my weight, rotate at about 150 to 170 kts, sometimes a bit higher so I can maintain my thrust during the initial climb.

4 Likes

SimBrief gives you V1/R/2 speeds of you use the JBU OFP layout. Additionally, IFAssistant also provides them.

Since both of those sources aren’t always perfect, you can just ballpark a range for V1/R/2 speeds. If you’re a heavy aircraft with a heavy load, you will most likely aim for 160 kts and above. If you’re flying a CRJ with a light load, your range is somewhere around 115 to 125 kts.

To make things simpler for you, I would use the sources I listed above even though they may not always be perfect. After some testing and practice, you’ll know what speeds are appropriate for takeoff based on aircraft, load, and weather conditions.

2 Likes

If your drifting in the runway then that’s a good sign your going way too fast. When I first started flying I did that a lot and realised I was raking off 50 to 100 knots too fast.

1 Like

Don’t forget to trim your aircraft nose up ! Thats as important as the correct flap setting. When correctly trimmed, your aircraft should rise its nose as soon as you reached Vr ( the speed at which your nose landing gear leaves the runway ) and as soon as you pull your control column or sidestick back, away from its neutral position. Also, during your take off run, until Vr is reached, you push your column or sidestick a little bit forward to prevent the nose landing gear from lifting off before Vr is reached.

The typical rotation speed is 2-3 degrees, and the typical target liftoff attitude should be reached within 3-4 seconds.

Some liftoff attitudes in degrees:

737-600/-700/-800/-900 : 7-9
757/767 : 9-11
747-400/-8 : 10
MD-11 : 7-10
777-200/-300 : 7-9
717 : 7-10

What i can tell you is that our 747-400, max take off weight of 805,000 pounds or 365 tons, Flaps 20,on a standard day , airport altitude at MSL ,has a liftoff speed V2 of 196 kts :)

5 Likes

like stated above by @Qantas094 and @Claudio fpl to if isn’t the most realistic but it gives u an idea but if u ask me u just have to kno ur aircraft for example everyone knows an a320 is going to usually be abt 135-140 on a normal day and on a light day 125-128-130 but if u are in an b738 heavy obviously u will u use most of the runway lol

edit: don’t forget what @Lufthansa061 said don’t forget to trim!

2 Likes

Personally, I use IFAssistant to calculate V1, Vr and V2. Of my knowledge, the application automatically detects the V-speeds for an aircraft with said aircraft’s configuration and weight taken into account. There are several factors that affect the three V-speeds above. Weather and airport elevation, to name a couple.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.