When to disable APPR

I’m not sure there’s a correct answer to this, but when should one disable the APPR autopilot function on a typical final approach?

I normally lower the landing gear and apply full flaps at ~2,000 feet AGL (4-5 miles from touchdown), and disable the APPR at ~1,000 feet. Is there a standard procedure? What do you folks do?

Happy flying,
N1ME
Mark Eatman

1 Like

Personally, I’m fully configured around 1,500 ft AGL and disable APPR between 1,000-700ft AGL.

1 Like

There’s no standard procedure as far as I know. You can disengage it at around 8-9nm if you wish and fly it manually all the way down. The latest you can disengage is at minimums callout. (Unless it’s an auto-land)

1 Like

@Mark_Eatman… MaxSez: Disabling APPR makes no sense. It self disables at deceleration. FYI: A set brake will act as an auto-brake-anti-skid on touch down, Release it when spoilers auto-disengage at taxi speed and APPR should be engaged just prior to ILS intercept or on base
Just Savin, Max

3 Likes

Eh, that’s no fun! I like the challenge of manually touching down more gently/smoothly than the autoland would have. APPR mode can be fairly rough on the nose landing gear…

1 Like

I think what he means is that he want APPR to fly most of the APP for him, then handfly it the rest of the way, sir.

Edit: Mark has clarified himself above.

1 Like

You can disable APPR from intercepting ILS to any time after stabilised aircraft’s or do full cat-III landing. Auto pilot doesn’t mean you have to do full cat-III landing. Specialy as we don’t have LOC button to enable ils intercept. You can use appr as substitute.

1 Like

@Mark_Eatman@Joseph_Krol… APPR engage is an option.
It was developed for those socked in Approaches. I do visuals in good weather and APPR when I get lazy, or bad WX Catll. Gooday. Max

3 Likes

I’m not sure about the terms sucked at approaches max. IRW specialy parallel runways or even single runways commercial pilots always intercept with localiser intercepts.nobody hands fly those turns on busy airspace. If everybody fly like commercials pilots on training server you won’t have those pilots zigzagging across 3 runways at Lax ;)

But I agree hands flying much more fun in IF

2 Likes

Gear Down 2.400ft
1000ft AP off
(:

1 Like

I don’t think there is a procedure. I personally NEVER use APPR, unless it’s minimums.

I disable autopilot when decent to 10000ft.

10000 really?

1 Like

I personally do this, below 10,000ft fully manual.

I rarely if ever use APPR. I have noticed that it likes to put the nose down pretty hard. Like you said, it would wear down the landing gear.

MaxSez: To each his own on this Sim. Having flown for a bit seat of the pants eyeballing, the modernly equipped airframe appeal to me.
With automation, advanced avionics and real controlled airspace WW the reduced work load gets my attention. You will not last long in the WW big name commercial aviation game if your a “Flat Hatter”. Precision, pax comfort and adherence to standard procedures are a way of life in the big time. Non-conformance here will follow you if Aviation is your goal. Repeat; Old repetitive bad habits here will follow you.
Relearning is a hard task master. Nobody said is was gonna be EZ.
Fly like an Eagle by conforming to the norm. Innovation will kill you in the real world. Just Sayin, Max

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.