When to descend

Hi guys how many miles away from my airport should I start descending and roughly to what altitude should I be at

There are a couple easy ways to determine when to start your descent.

1. Multiply your altitude by the number of thousands of feet by 3.
    Example: You’re cruising at 25,000ft, so 25 x 3 = 75, so will want to start your descent 75nm from the airport.

2.Start descent when the time to the airport equals altitude to lose for 1000 ft/min descent.
Example: 10,000 feet to lose, start descent 10 minutes out at 1000 ft/MIN.

7 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Okay thanks for the help both of you I’ve worked when to descend now thank you very much

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Okay thank you for youre help I’ve worked out when I need to descend

For number one, what should your VS be then? -1000?

1 Like

Usually I descend at no more than -1000VS, so if I have 11 minutes until the airport, and i’m at 11,000ft I’ll need to set VS to -1000VS. If it gets tricky use a calculator :-)

1 Like

http://www.freedomair.us/DescentCalc/descentdistance.php

@jooeball

How to calculate rate of descent.

Method 1 - Ground speed x 5. 3 will give you your required rate of decent for a 3 degree glide slope.
Example: GS 300kts, 300 x 5.3 = 1590. Since VS adjusts in increments of 100, you should round off to VS -1600. It is better to come in early and level off than coming in high and having to dive bomb the airport.

Method 2 - Some people multiple Ground Speed by 6,
Example: GS 300 x 6 = -1800. Again better to come down early and level off to your next waypoint or to the start of the glide slope. Some multiply by 5, but I always seem to come in high using 5.

Method 3 - Divide your ground speed by 2 and add a zero.
Example - Ground speed 300kts ÷2=150, add the zero for VS of - 1500

Method 4 - Start descent when the time to the airport equals altitude to lose for 1000 ft/min descent.
Example: 10,000 feet to lose, start descent 10 minutes out at 1000 ft/min.When you reach the ILS follow the ILS glide slope, using method one.

Method 1 is the most accurate, but you need to keep adjusting the VS as the ground speed decreases. Perfect for final approach.

Methods 2 is good for descending from 10,000 to 3,000.

Method 3 is very easy and gets you close to where you want to be.

Method 4 is useful when descending between waypoints when above 10,000 feet. I also use it between waypoints down to 3,000 feet above ground level.

All these methods require regular adjustments as your speed and time change.

5 Likes