when to deploy landing gear?

Like attitude & speed

When you are around 5nm away from the runway.

4 Likes

About 7NM from the airport for me

3 Likes

I say 4nm out, and please include your questions in one post.

i agree with you

To add on, try not to clog up the Forum with questions. That’s where you should look at #tutorials.

3 Likes

Generally 180-200 is the absolute max. And you probably want them down right about when you are on approach probably around 4K-3K (AGL) is whare I drop mine…

3 Likes

I normally do anything from 4NM to 7NM.

Also check the #tutorials category for more help!

2 Likes

I deploy it once I intercept the ILS. (Please have a look in #tutorials instead of clogging up posts)

1 Like

I think like 3000 feet AGL.

1 Like

I drop my gear when I enter the pattern.

1 Like

Shouldn’t do that… Gear should be deployed on final cause it just causes extra drag at any other time. Honestly it’s pilot’s discretion when to deploy the gear, depends on the aircraft and your speed.

2 Likes

According to totarials by mark and others 5nm is the ideal place, speed should be around 160-200, but altitude is mostly at your discretion

1 Like

Remember that that is aircraft dependent. A TBM should not deploy gear at 200kts lol

1 Like

Yea, I mean in like a a320 jet or 737

3 Likes

Roughly 5 miles is industry standard, but landing gear can be used as a form of speed brake so can be deployed a little earlier if needed. Depends on approach speeds too of course, and also workload. If you’re flying s high intensity approach (something like Madeira comes to mind) where you have to do lots at the last minute, it could be a wise idea to drop it slightly earlier.

4 Likes

I usually deploy when I’m on short final (around 5nm).

1 Like

It depends on the aircraft and on the situation. I have seen an A380 deploying it at around 7.5nm away from the runway and a small GA such as the TBM deploying it a bit closer to the runway. On the other hand, as some mentioned, sometimes a pilot decides to deploy it a bit earlier to control the speed.

Maybe @Yuan_Tugo can give us some more information. :)

I deploy my landing gear when I’m 7nm out from the airport

I would try to look up aircraft-specific checklists and POH’s, because as other users have noted, gear down will change aircraft to aircraft.

For example, our Piper Arrow’s checklist calls for gear down at 500AGL, or when runway is assured. In the real world, I do it when I’m entering the 45 to downwind. Also, run your GUMPS checklist in each leg of the pattern (to make sure you don’t forget!). This would obviously not work for a 777. Do some googling and i’m sure you’ll find your answer!

Also, be sure to check out our tutorial page!
https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials