When taking off, should my throttle power be 100%

As the question says. I was once in a flight from Tenerife to England, with BA, and the pilot let me come have a look at the cockpit. The pilot said that they use full throttle power on take off (100%) is this true?

No but the N1 above your throttle should be about 90%.

4 Likes

80-90% are nice.

No.
Your N1 should be 100% not throttle. It is usually 90% thrust but some have 95% and some 85% throttle needed to roll down the runway

No. N1 should not be over 99%. It’s how fast your engines are going. If going around fell free to use full throttle.

They aren’t using 100% throttle or 100% N1. In simplest terms, Prior to pushback, the pilots enter all the data (such as weight, runway length, conditions, cost index, flaps etc) into the Flight Management system. This give them their V1, Vr and V2 speeds and calculates the N1 % for takeoff. Boeings use a TOGA system, the TO stands for takeoff. Again, in simplest terms, it limits the N1 percentage on takeoff so the pilot can advance the throttles fully to the takeoff N1 limit. A realistic takeoff N1 is more like 85% to 92%. In IF, on a 737 for example, if you use about 83% throttle you will reach about 90% N1 which is realistic for takeoff. You should never be in a situation where you need 100% throttle for takeoff

7 Likes

I usually takeoff with 90% or 95% throttle, which should give you an N1 of 95 or 100

What about if you have the weight on the highest setting?

As long as you don’t exceed the Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) you won’t need 100% N1… Obviously you should never make the weight higher than the MTOW as that would never happen in the real world.

In IF, some people may take off on a runway that’s too short for a certain aircraft and you won’t reach Vr in time without maximising your N1. But obviously, again, they wouldn’t be attempting a takeoff on that runway in the real world.

2 Likes

Actually there is no exact takeoff throttle, it all comes down to the calculation of weight and runway length.

The best practice is not to exceed 90% throttle but it’s not precise. Some can takeoff at 85 or lower. Even 90+. But it’s best not to use 100%

2 Likes

What about the dash8?

Props do not have N1 so I believe you can use 100% throttle

I’m not positive with the dash 8 but I don’t believe you would use 100% throttle unless on a very short field takeoff. The main thing to remember is companies want to save fuel burn, save engine wear, and make the ride comfortable. There is absolutely no need to push the engines to the limit on every takeoff (6+ a day) for absolutely no reason.

Remember, the aircraft are designed to still fly on one engine. 100% on one engine will keep it in the air in a climb out. You do not need both engine performing at the 100% limit on a standard takeoff.

4 Likes

He was trolling u m8
Irl a pilot does that, you, the passengers, and the crew are gone to a better place

I agree to what James said…u dont need 100% throttle power for takeoffs…the V1 and V2 speeds are set prior to the takeoff by calculating various factors by the FMC and is attained well below 80%… and the pilots usually dont push their throttle to full in one go…rather they do it in steps…

Dash 8 has a FADEC so you can just firewall the throttles and the computer is gonna sort all the nasty stuff out for you

2 Likes

So basically although the throttles are ‘firewalled’ or in the ‘100%’ position, they’re not putting out 100%. So in IF we need to manually set the throttle to an appropriate percentage, around 85% to 90% on a standard takeoff roll in the Dash 8.

No, you should use 90% N1, which is usually between 78-84% throttle.

I usually take off at 90%… but depends on your flap setting and type of plane.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.