When should I start my Descent?

Refer to this website! This website is a great option I, use it a lot! :) http://aerotexas.com/desplan/desplan.php

Basic Rule I use
10,000 ft - 35nm out of dest
20,000 ft - 70nm out of dest
30,000 ft - 105nm out of dest
Then anywhere in the middle can we calculated/estimated then when I cross a specific landmark or decent (10,000 ft e.g) then check up with this and if you need to adjust your decsent but usually I go for -1500 ft/m
Hope this helps

I have tried to use the simplest option (VS, it works really well)

I remebr watching that video , I was like I should challenge him to a butter competion

1 Like

If you are to high when you reach an airport, just circle the airport while descending. It is what most planes do I believe.

To make my flight easier what I do is take a real flight replay from FR24 and copy its flight path as accurately as possible. And when it comes time to descend i just check ant what altitude the real flight was at a certain point and i descent accordingly. And at the end if i did it right im at a perfect glideslope altitude. No need for leveling off or anything.

I descend 160nm out to 10,500 then at 50nm to 6000

I just do some simple math an judge If it’s realistic or not

I like to use this website
http://www.freedomair.us/DescentCalc/descentdistance.php
It works pretty well

1 Like

When u have 30 second till landing and u gotta dive do what u do. Well uh i crashed during final due to 7000fpm

AHEM maybe if you read the topic you would see that the rule of thumb is “no less than -2000 fpm” which, is in fact greater than -250. image

1 Like

Hahahahaha!!! His buttering is soooooo smooth!

Gonna be a bit of a challenge! 😂😂🤣😂

@KindaAngrySliceOfPie

You are quite wrong…most irl pilots and hopefully sim follow their fpl and plan their trip so that they descend and arrive at their dest on schedule…and only circle in a holding pattern if instructed to by an approach or tower controller …since it usually takes about twenty to thirty min to for a balanced descent from 30K plus …optimally you should start your descent between 500 and 2000 fpm and adjust accordingly from around 125-150 miles out !!!

It depends on what your current cruising altitude is, how many NM away you are from your desired airport. Although if I were to be at 35k feet I would start descending, at 1500fpm so that would normally be 23-24 minutes ETE to your destination, but this only applies to the given scenario I have created here.

Funny how your reply was one sentence.

Actually IRL pilots circle airports quite often. For example; burning fuel, waiting for a slot to land, waiting for weather. Sometimes the pilots will circle the airport to give them to fix something. I am taking flight lessons and my instructor says circling an airport to descend for a full stop is quite normal.

Please write in correct grammar, it really bugs me when people don’t. Thank you for the feedback though!

As l previously enunciated those actions you have designated are usually under ATC parameters…at least for airliners … not just arbitrarily executed as you seem to ascribe…if every pilot just decided that he/she can just take all the sweet time they wanted and land when they felt like it…then there would be no need for any preplanning and the ultimate result would be virtual and irl kaos in the skies… so if you only fly to uncontrolled airports in props and small jets with minimal traffic then you can maintain that philosophy !!!

2 Likes

That’s pretty much identical to what I use to descend

1 Like

Hey, what’s the link please, I didn’t found it on the net

1 Like

http://aerotexas.com/desplan/desplan.php

There u go dude

1 Like