When should I disable the autopilot?

Hi, I don’t really know when should I disable the A/P. I always disable it when I enter the ILS cone. I don’t know if it’s quite earlier.

I don’t know if it’s in the right category

7 Likes

You can disable it when ever you want. If you are at the beginning of the cone you can hand fly it down if you want. I usually disconnect AP at 2500ft and disconnect auto throttle at 1500ft. Its all up to you!

5 Likes

Same for me, when I am enterin hte ILS cone I always disable it.

2 Likes

I turn it off when I have lined up with the runway and made sure I am at my final approach speed then I turn it off and hand fly it in…

This is usually when I am halfway done the ILS cone

2 Likes

I usually disconnect AP at 1000 feet AGL, or lower if I can’t see the runway yet. I leave auto-throttle on till 100 feet AGL.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same question a while ago I usually fly A/P up to 1500ft where I would disconnect it. I would leave auto throttle to 500ft just so I don’t get carried away looking at traffic and end up stalling. I’ll see you in the sky’s or on slack- ACVA154

1 Like

I actually disable it as soon as possible. Once I turn final I fly everything manually. Once I get less than 1 mile out from the runway I fly everything + speed manually. The only time when I will turn any autopilot back on during final is 98% of the time due to Liveflight connect crashing on the computer, which is what connects my phone and my joystick, and when this happens all control go back to idle. For me, Live flight connect crashes once each flight, and If I dont see that it has crashed in time, my plane could start spinning, diving, or rapidly accending. If I do catch it in time, I immediately turn AP on and reopen LFC. If all is well, I continue the approach. I have had nightmares about having these LFC crashes.

2 Likes

Is it the same IRL?

Usually I disable the autopilot when I enable the APPR and just let it land by itself. Obviously this isn’t the conventional way but I like a nice calm easy flight sometimes

1 Like

Personally, I never use the APPR except in low visibility

1 Like

I do it as it saves me some time and stress doing it myself. But I can see why you would only do it in low visability. I don’t really get low vis that often so it’s a bit boring tbh

1 Like

No if the yoke kept suddenly going out during a flight IRL then that would be a pretty big emergency. IF has a lot of issues, and you just have to learn to deal with them safely.

And also good job flying approaches and landing manually, everyone should do or learn how to do that. Anyways, I don’t completely trust autopilot.

1 Like

I don’t actually know how to use APPR either😂, I also rarely have low visibility.

1 Like

Yeah, I always land by myself to improve my landing skills

1 Like

Me too, I never met any low visibility

1 Like

You May disconnect the A/P and fly the aircraft manually whenever you want. IRL and in IF you should pay attention to your workload (e.g. ATC/terrain/traffic) before going manual as going manual especially in a single-pilot environment (as IF is) takes away quite a few capacities you probably would need in busy airspace or other cases (see above).

Nonetheless manual flight is fantastic to improve skills and great fun in my opinion, so don’t hesitate to disconnect the autopilot at FL100 or even earlier if your workload allows.

Obviously that’s personal taste.

Also there are certain approaches which must be flown manual from a certain point on (e.g. LPMA).

2 Likes

Yeah, if I could take the control more earlier, I’ll do it. But the problem is that I don’t have any joysticks and when I take my tablet for a while, my arms hurt.

Like I said, the perfect moment depends on personal preferences + circumstances, so that is and should be your decision.

Just remember it can be great fun and very rewarding!

Happy landings!

2 Likes

An Airbus pilot told me:
If the weather is clear we disable it at 5000 ft to maintain our pilot skills.
But generally it’s at 200 ft at minimums if you see the runway.
If you don’t see the runway you have to let the plane auto land itself.
For Infinite Flight it’s nice to disable it at 1000 ft / 3.3 Nm keeping SPD on set to landing speed. And at 200 ft SPD off.

1 Like

I would put it in live

1 Like