When’s a good time to drop down my gear?

Usually I do mine around 16nm from the airport but not sure if that’s too far out or too close. If anyone has any advice or something lemme know !

3 Likes

i just know vertically, like anywhere from 2,700 down ti 2,100 should be fine.

2 Likes

As soon as I hit the final line thing where APPR becomes available, that’s when I do it

2 Likes

Hey!

Well, there is not a rule about when you have to drop down your landing gear system. However, it’s important to know that you can do it too away from the airport, personally I highly recommend you to do that when you are in the G/S which is that shadow in front of the runway.

1 Like

I drop my gear when I’m 6nm far out from the runway.

7 Likes

It depends on the aircraft, really.

I say when you hit 2.0-1.9k so 6nm out?

2 Likes

I drop my gear around 6-7 nm out from the airport as well.

5 Likes

I do it around 6nm out (around 2000-2500ft) - seems that is what most other people do…

2 Likes

I do when getting the LOC, in case that im too far from the cone, I wait until to cone ( I can be wrong but thats my manner)

Oh wow 16nm is too far. You know pilots should reduce their speed steps by steps as :

• speed 220knots 20nm final
  • speed 200 knots 15nm final
  • speed 180 knots 10nm final
  • final approach speed around 7nm final

So with your speed reduction and as you continue to get out the flaps, I’d say 2000ft is the perfect time to drop the gear, but it’s mostly a feeling, when you think you should drop it, do it( any time from 10nm final, it’s your feeling).

2 Likes

Personally I always drop my gear from 5-7 nm that’s what most pilots do irl from I’ve seen.

3 Likes