When not to ask for a frequency change when approaching an airport

Hello pilots! When approaching an airport do not ask approach or tower for a frequency change before approach or tower has asked you to change to another frequency. By asking you are creating useless white noise which the controller has to respond to with a “stay on my frequency” or “please check tutorials on the forum with assistance using ATC instructions” instruction.

If you recieve a “stay on my frequency” or “please check tutorials on the forum with assistance using ATC instructions” instruction please contact your controller to find out why he/she has given you that instruction. We want to provide you with the best service possible whilst using the least amount of instructions as possible, so it’s less work for you. Have a nice day and have a nice flight!

9 Likes

And, please don’t tune from Approach to Tower or from Tower to Approach/Departure until you are told to. I’ve noticed an increase in pilots doing so. Wait until the handoff “Contact xx Tower”

6 Likes

I’m not responding to you @RTG113. This is not a topic to berade pilots, I simply wanted to start a discussion on frequency changes and their use when approaching an airport. :)

I probably shouldn’t have capitalized the “not”, it wasn’t my intention to berade.

1 Like

Autocorrect and fat fingers fail me again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.