When is the timing to lower the flap before takeoff?

before taxi or after taxi

2 Likes

You should lower flaps before you taxi. Lowering them after takeoff is kinda pointless if you ask me.

4 Likes

Flaps should be lowered after pushback, before you start taxiing. :) Reason is that you wouldn’t normally (on most planes) have pressurized the hydraulics before you start the engines, because it can injure ground crew.

7 Likes

Thank you very much. I thought that there were various ways by the pilot.

I know some pilots will lower the flaps before takeoff. I recently flew to DXB on an Emirates A380 and noticed that the pilots will retract the flaps to the takeoff position while taxiing to the gate upon arrival. They will then pushback from the gate for their next departure while the flaps are set to takeoff position although I know this is not always the case.

2 Likes

Airbus advises airlines to leave their airplanes parked with flaps 1 when the temperatures are above 30 dergrees Celsius

From the A320 FCOM

“· On ground, hot weather conditions may cause overheating to be detected around the
bleed ducts in the wings, resulting in “AIR L® WING LEAK” warnings. Such warnings
may be avoided during transit by keeping the slats in Configuration 1 when the OAT
is above 30°C.”

1 Like

Yeah and when we do that people who are tall smack their heads on the flaps (especially the A321s) while working the planes.

1 Like

No wonder I don’t see them doing it at the gate!

1 Like

For me I usually do a quick flaps test during pushback as I’ve seen this before but typically I put the flaps down during taxi to the runway

1 Like

Just for the realism I do a test of rudders and spoilers also lower the flaps at this time

4 Likes

After pushback, when ground personal tells us to set the parking brake so they can remove the towing equipment, and all engines are running, the captain calls for the taxi items. We move the flap handle ( lever ) to its calculated position and while the flaps move into their position we also perform the flight control check. After the flaps reached their take off position and flight control check is complete, captain says: Call for taxi. Ground gives us the taxi clearance and route and on our way to the runway we wait for the cabin report from the purser or purserette. Only then captain says: Taxi checklist, which has just 2 items: Flaps , cabin report.After both items have been confirmed, the taxi checklist is completed.

1 Like

Cool iran air plane!

1 Like

I usually do it after my checks or during my checks (spoilers rotaters pitch etc)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.