Then
KMIA TWR American 92 cancel

takeoff clearance

AA 92 Roger American 92 Heavy

Just why?

4 Likes

This is why.

12 Likes

Unless it’s Mark Denton. The only 172 that can have the heavy call sign :-)

19 Likes

@NismoKits provided a great source but you can also check out this one:

1 Like

General rule, a 777 or bigger uses heavy, except for the a380 which uses super

2 Likes

general Rule is the B757-300 and above uses HEAVY, exception being the A380 which is the only one that uses SUPER.

A321 / B737 and below don’t use any additional designation.

6 Likes

actually, B757-300 isn’t a heavy, but it was speculated that the wing shape caused an abnormal amount of wake turbulence.

Also, the MTOW classification has varied over the years from 300,000lbs down to 255,000lbs, but then up to 300,000 again. So by definition it isn’t a heavy, but a lot of controllers still use the heavy suffix.

1 Like

by weight the B753 isn’t a heavy but my understand was because of the wake turbulence it is, however the B752 is not a heavy.

As I said, there was speculation that the wing shape caused an abnormal amount of wake turbulence, but from what I’ve read, that was disproven…

1 Like

In the states, we are required to treat the 757 as a heavy when pertaining to wake turbulence separation.

2 Likes

We are to attach heavy to the end of the callsign when the aircraft falls under the heavy classification.

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don’t.

On the flight progress strip, it is annotated as below

DAL1673
B747/H

DAL1673
B737

I do not believe the 757 uses heavy , even though it meets some of the requirements

In the U.S 757-300s use heavy

2 Likes

All wide bodies except a380 use heavy

Well, I don’t care, my Super Decathlon will have the Heavy title and there’s nothing you can do about it. 😋

1 Like

Hope you don’t get ghosted on the expert server then…

2 Likes

757 produces wake turbulence like a heavy does, that’s why they fall under heavy

1 Like

Pfft

How perfect was this?^^

2 Likes

Still waiting for my recognition in this creative comeback

Absolutely - no denying that! ;)

2 Likes