When do I reduce power for landing?

I’ve been flying quite a lot the A320 family, and before landing I reduce the throttle a bit at 100ft so as to be able to reduce the possibilities of having a balloon effect.
Is this the way its done in real life? If not, how do I land like if it was a real life landing?

4 Likes

I really cut my throttle once I cross the piano keys or go below 30 feet. Then, I set my spoilers to flight real quick, then to armed.

3 Likes

Calm down, I’m not an expert when dealing with the balloon effect.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

3 Likes

No, what I’ve asked you is the flare altitude, this time is the way to avoid the balloon effect on landing.

1 Like

Please don’t be harsh.

The OP has a genuine question. Even if you have explained it in the past, he may not have fully understood and is entitled to get another response.

Please cut the memory insults, the “get rekt”, etc. I’ll be suspending people who make such posts in this style after this warning.

This forum is a great place for learning, not a place for insulting other users.

32 Likes

Hey buddy, from personal experience, I’ve found 135-150knots optimal landing speeds. I’ve found through experimentation that the plane will fall significantly if you drop the plane to idle, so I’d recommend at about 400ft you gently work the throttle keeping a consistent speed, then around 100ft you can start reducing power slowly and prepare to flare. 30-20ft suits me most for flaring. As it minimises your time creating lift.

4 Likes

Here’s my trick!for the a320 family…i use approach until 400feet then go in manually… In most cases the 50 callout sounds…i slowly idle and flare to about four degrees from one/two degree of the approach

N/B don’t flare 5 or more ° you’ll probably start having a +VS and a ballooning effect or whatever you call it…Your touchdown VS should be a maximum of 150-200 if you do as i instruct you…Am not perfect Nor am a I a real life pilot…Thats just how i do it…Take my advice if you find it suitable and neccesary

2 Likes

Oli H: Here is the most common landing procedure and I’ll put it in simply terms.

Rounds out (flare)

Flares are more commonly used and it’s the moment when you reach 100ft or below/ground effect that you use it. As you have done and you should reduce your throttle and slowly pull back until you get a perfect/slow/smooth touch down.

1 Like

im not saying is a certified airbus operation. In IF, the airbus A320 and this small family, I just approach at 140/145kts, then at 50ft call, I set throttle in idle and in 30ft call i start flaring. Works for me.

Also, try setting control sensitivity in low, helped me a lot in small planes, even more in heavies

I hate changing weight during flight, so I always set it a little below the Max landing weight.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

For me I learned by feeling out the plane. The best thing to do is go to an empty airfield and do as many touch and goes as you can. Eventually you’ll nail the landing! Best of luck!

3 Likes

Even the older flight models such as the basic 737 series are basically the same to deal with, given no ground-effect.

After passing through 20ft, a slow but steady “throttle-reduction” to idle is to be made.
Because of the residual thrust felt with most CFM’s, the engines should be coming to “engine-idle” (20% N1) just as the mains make contact.
Flare-attitude should be anywhere between 5-8 degrees. :)

1 Like

I always fly the Boeing 757 and I usually cut power when I turn from base to short final! ( as a side note I am a pilot in real life so… yeah… ) hope it helps!

2 Likes

What do you fly IRL?

1 Like

You reduce to idle when turning from base on to final? Do you glide it in over the last few miles?

2 Likes

Sorry I forgot to mention that Sometimes I bring the power back a little bit so I don’t lose to much speed and I stay into the glide path

When reaching 20 idle the power and flare.