When ATC issues a left/right traffic

So I get that when I’m told I need to make left/right traffic I need to fly next to the left/right of the runway but when I’m on the ils for the runway but then ATC tells me to make left/right traffic do I fly over the runway maintaining my altitude then turn left/right turn? Then what do I do after that? Also what does downwind and upwind and all those other commands mean?

Thanks

If you’re on the ILS: you shouldn’t be told to make a certain traffic unless in a go around.

If you are approaching an airport or are on pattern: Left/Right traffic is which side the runway is on to you, or even simpler, left traffic = left turns and the opposite.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

But what do if I’m issued one? Do I fly over the runway or should I avoid it. Then after I have flown round the runway, do I keep going or do I just land?

Is this on playground?

1 Like

Yes. I was at klax on a really busy day. So I was issued to make left traffic. But I was confused. @IceBlue

That explains things. You should not be told to make a traffic pattern, for a runway that you are on final for. The only exception here of if you are told to go to a different runway, but as long as you are not on the ILS already you can just move earlier.

1 Like

What if I wasn’t on ils and they told me to make left or right traffic? @IceBlue

If told to enter on downwind, fly on the opposite direction to the runway on the left/right as told.

If told to enter on base, fly at a 90 deg angle to the runway. Left base = Left turn for runway.

If told to enter straight in, fly straight for the runway.

8 Likes

Thanks! Last question once. I’ve gone round, do I continue the pattern or do I just land?

If you go around, you to likely be told to enter a downwind for the runway. So fly the pattern.

1 Like

But do I land after I’ve done the pattern or do I continue the pattern?

You should land.

1 Like

Thank goodness we cleard that up finally 😅 My questions must have got very tedious! Thanks so much @IceBlue ! That really did help and now I understand. Thank you ✅

2 Likes

Haha no worries :)

If you go around, ATC will usually clear you to land on the downwind or base leg if the problem has been resolved that warranted a go around. If the problem hasn’t been resolved, they will say, “I’ll call your base” which means you do not turn base until told to do so.

simple explanation, well made :P

2 Likes

I don’t understand very well the question,are you talking about "cleared for the option,make left/right traffic?

1 Like

You will be issued this command when the pilot says “inbound for touch and go” or you have not specified if you are landing or performing a touch and go. The command “Cleared for the option” means that you are cleared for both a touch and go or for a landing. The command “make left/right traffic” means that if you choose to perform a touch and go you should turn onto left/right crosswind and continue around the pattern once you have landed and lifted off again. Don’t worry if you don’t understand

it confused me aswell

2 Likes

Really mate?..I know what mean CFTO,I’m IFATC,i only can’t understand what is the issue…

1 Like

How was I meant to interpret this