What's with 737 types

Just look at the end of the name of the aircraft

At the end of the Qantas 737 is 838 but the virgin Australia is 737-8FE or 737-8KG and I’m pretty sure that there is 737-8NG

3 Likes

Confusing, I thought Virgin would have got all of their 737’s with the same engine

1 Like

So is that what it is the engine or something else

I’m not sure maybe it could be but maybe not, any ideas @anon31652286 @Riley?

1 Like

The letters at the end like -ER is extra ranger or something like that

@Qantas_Pilot Virgin Australia mainly have the -8FE.

They’re all 737-800’s, but the ‘FE’ is Virgin Australia’s customer suffix. So that means it has the Virgin Australia specs fitted (seat count etc). Likewise, 737-8KG is another seat configuration of the Virgin Australia’s 737-800. :) That helps leasing companies be more aware of the specifications of the airplane before leasing.

9 Likes

I know that but why -8ng not -800 ng

Thanks guys

Because it doesn’t refer to the aircraft type, but the customer

2 Likes

I thought that was it. I newt was something to do with the airline specifications. You saved me from giving the wrong info ;)

2 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say that. They love the FE’s don’t they?

2 Likes

Qantas’ 737-838 is just a set version of a 737 variant produced by Boeing. As @Mats_Edvin_Aaro said it depends on the seating configuration and other things like that.

1 Like

Thank you for the info

1 Like

Thanks guys

Here’s a website with a list of customer codes if you’re interested:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0048.shtml

4 Likes

I was told that the letters at the end represent the engine type. Maybe that’s just for Airbus?

3 Likes

You are correct.

1 Like

Hmm… Never knew such a fact existed, that’s so cool

All the numbers behind the variant ex: 777-324ER are just the coustomer codes the manufacturers put at the end.