What's up with T-tail planes?

Planes like the MD80 and 717 why do airlines not like them?
Is it it fuel efficiency?

2 Likes

Probably not the design because CRJs are extremely popular.

And from a CEOs perspective why buy a 717 when you have a cockpit commonality, larger, more well known and common 737.

4 Likes

They can fall into a deep stall.

4 Likes

MaxSez: T Tails… design flaws. See AvSafety.net and accident record by model.

8 Likes

Because all the planes with them have fuselage mounted engines, they have to put the vertical stabilizers somewhere.

1 Like

lets not forget it was also early days for jet engines then :p

The MD-80s are a lot older, resulting in lower purchasing costs. These planes were once the backbone of the aviation industry. They’re gas guzzlers though. I personally love all of the T-Tails

1 Like

Not in all circumstances. Many T-Tailed aircraft are still in service today. (MD-90, -80, B717) As long as you maintained them properly they would be fine.

@Sam_S. “Back Bone” I don’t think so. Boeing bought a Lemon when they bought out McD. (B-717 Boeing, used McD drawing, machining & dies) Remember the “Comet” & structural stress integrity. What you see today in the T Tail line are reworks. I Can’t think of a major manufacturer who produces large T Tail airliners.
T-Tail Hull loss:
L-1011 TriStar: 11
DC-9/MD-80s/MD-90/717 series combined: 143
DC-10: 32
MD-11: 9 (AvSafetyNet)

1 Like

Bombardier

1 Like

@PlaneCrazy Ok, I stand corrected. Forgot the lite commuters, I did say major manufactures. With the Bombers market share it ain’t major. LOL

2 Likes

One answer:
A320 family

Bombardier makes CRJ-200s, the most popular regional jet.

@PlaneCrazy… Let not quibble! A regional is the same as a light commuter in my world. Your responses noted Regards, Max

1 Like

Yet, 0 for the B717. One Delta Captain that I know is in love with the MD88, even after flying the 757. Facts are facts though, there are some major engineering downsides.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Sorry they stall more ?

I don’t like the esthetics

1 Like

Long live the T Tails! 🤘🏼

Okay…it’s 2:16am. This is the result of sleep deprivation. Good night.

1 Like

No. they fall into an unrecoverable stall because the wings are preventing the air reaching the elevators so the nose remains high until it smashes into the ground.