What's the scariest flight you've been on?

That was very lucky!!

1 Like

Don’t have many proberly on a air nz 737-300 I got to hand out the lolllies air nz has I was young like 6 and we encountered unexpected turbulence and I was slightly thrown but managed to grab something and was made to get back to my seat sadly I didn’t get to finish the handing out but I got a coffee cup full of them that would have been my scariest moment not that scary I know but only story

1 Like

Second time I flew Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz. After take off I think the plane was climbing at about 6000vs yet the crew had no problem walking up and down the aisle. It was at that point that I realised Ryanair leaves a lot to be expected.

1 Like

Virgin Atlantic VS73 MAN-MCO. We were in a pushback and the pilots turned the plane and started up the engines, we were on a window seat on the wing so we had full view of the engines, what looked like smoke billowed out of engine 1 and we could smell burning fuel! We called the flight attendant over and he just said it was vapours from the ground, we took off without incident and landed in Orlando safely.

My scariest flight was coming back from Aruba into KPHL and there was hurricane Irene. Lots of turbulence and you couldn’t see through the clouds until you were practically on the runway.

1 Like

SIN-SYD on an SQ 744 back in Sep 2009. After a long day at work, the 2 hour schelp to Heathrow, an entirely sleepless overnight flight to SIN and then a couple of hours trudging around Changi, I was like something out of The Walking Dead. Pleased to get a row of 4 seats to myself at the back of the plane on the second leg, so after whatever meal it was they served (body clock was probably expecting a Cornflakes sandwich with peas and potatoes by that point), I lay down and eventually went to sleep. Woke up less than an hour later at the same time as everyone else, thanks to an acrid burning smell filling the cabin. Glanced at the map on my seatback screen and saw we were over the WA desert (barren, empty…not a place to receive a 744-capable emergency landing if it came to that). Then everything went off, and the cabin crew started pulling things apart to find the source. Eventually turned out to be shorted-out wires on one of the upstairs fridges. Lights and air con eventually came back on, IFE never did. Nearly four hours of sitting wide awake in a plane that smelt of burnt plastic, unable to concentrate on reading, nothing to watch, and so out of it with tiredness that I think I was hallucinating. Did the only thing a sane person could do and started to take a lot of advantage of the bar, something I never do on long haul flights. Was three sheets to the wind by the time I arrived, and then passed out in my brother’s car. Good times.

7 Likes

@jghastings. MaxSez: Best narrative of the bunch thus far. Well written with wit.
“Do Good Work”, BZ. Regards

IMG_1518

2 Likes

I have been on a kulula Dc9 and the engine caught fire whilst we were taxing

1 Like

Kinda funny to see these stories of emergency landings and stuff, and I’m like ‘we had turbulence once’

2 Likes

I hope you mean MH17 correct? The plane that went down was not a McDonnell Douglass aircraft, and the MD-17 was a concept aircraft which was a commercial variant of the C-17 Globemaster.

4 Likes

Lol, you know spell check these days, that is what I meant, MH17. Thanks for picking that up👍

Well, I’ve had a few disappointing flights and scary flights. I can’t remem my most scary flight which was some thing about the plane had to turn around but I was only like 2. So here’s my second and third. My second one was just last night, LAX-ORD. On approach we were going through the clouds, and I was expecting us to go below them. Nope. We stayed in the clouds for about five minutes with awful turbulence at first, thought the pilot had overshot the runway. Then I realized he might have been too low… (something that happens to me a lot in IF) my third was another United flight. We boarded our 10 year old 737 and sat down. We were sitting on the plane for 1 hour before they made us disembark. Another 30 minutes went by until they called us on. Then 10 minutes later, we got off again and finally 20 minutes later, they got us in and we took off. On the bright side, we got free tv. But we were all to paranoid that something would happen to the plane to watch tv.

2 Likes

Although hardly a scary experience, I flew on a Germanwings Flight a few years back from LHR to Dusseldorf for a connection back to Chicago. The ironic thing was, that Germanwings Flight 9525 crashed in the Alps 3 days earlier flying to the same destination. It was a connection, so we didn’t see any memorial stuff, but still ironic nevertheless. The reason I say it wasn’t very scary, is that airlines are usually the safest Following an accident, so our flight was in good hands.

Lmao, don’t fly Allegiant if you don’t like emergency issues

1 Like

In a QF 738 descending towards WSSS, we hit a microburst.

A few years ago we were on final to Schiphol in a KLM Fokker 100. It was a very stormy day and we had extreme crosswinds. There was also a lot of turbulence and unexpected wind gusts. Let’s just say my sister was holding her breath as the aircraft was being thrown around. Huge round of applause on landing. The KLM pilot did a great job!

2 Likes

Eh, never really had a “scary” flight, but there was once when in an Indigo A320, there was severe turbulence on approach. It seemed that a mini storm had passed through, cuz the sun was still shining bright, but the ground was soaked. I was having a great time, but my two year old sister was having an even greater time. She laughing like crazy every time the plane dropped a couple feet, and other passengers with tense expressions were looking at her like… “What?”

3 Likes

Final approach going into KTPA sitting all the way in the back. Cross winds with high gusts. Turbulence all the way down. when the pilot touched One wheel, the plane bounced once, then he slammed down the other side and failed to keep the nose up. I’m not too sure what the wind speed with gusts were, but I almost ended up in the guys lap beside me.

4 Likes

Any where I’ve let my colleague do the landing!!!

(just kidding ;) )

2 Likes

Mine was definitely on WN4229 LAS-IND. We were coming in at night and there was a big storm in the area. It was at the point where I thought the overhead bins were gonna pop open. The worst part was that since it was nighttime, all you saw was black out the window except for when the strobes flashed. Very spooky.

2 Likes