What's the last time you declared a fuel emergency?

787 Air Tahiti Nui

1 Like

What cruise altitude and Mach? @Fabian_1803

1 Like

I have never declared a fuel emergency.

3 Likes

FL400 and M 0.84

1 Like

Hit lots of headwind up there? @Fabian_1803

1 Like

Brilliant!

2 Likes

About 7 weeks ago. 3 minutes of fuel left

1 Like

nope i had tailwind

1 Like

Yeah your flight was on the extreme range of the B789, maybe consider refueling stops next time. Also another trick for ultra long range flights is to shred as much weight as you can and max out fuel. Cruise at FL330-350 at 0.86 if hitting headwind, FL350-390 at 0.85 if pushed by tailwind.

1 Like

1 Like

I like to test the extream ranges 😅. i do Ultra Long Haul flights from Sunday to Wednesday every evening from EDDF to NZAA or KJFK to WSSS whit A380 thats how i earn my flight hours easy while i am sleeping and working.

1 Like

About 2 months ago I had the scare of my life when I was doing a flight from KLAX to ZSAM. I made a miscalculation of how much fuel I needed.

I was on the brink of crashing but a some changes to my approach into ZSAM saved the day. On just though, on final I only had about 200KG of fuel left.

And that was by far the closest I’ve ever came to running out of fuel.

1 Like

Last FNF, got ghosted for it aswell because I accidentally used it twice and then requested a descent to 3000ft and the IFATC said I was spamming :(

Edit: I do respect the IFATC’s decision as it was extremely busy that night, and it was my mistake. His procedures and methods are also very good.

4 Likes

I have done it once ever. Now that I use a professional flight planner, it never happens. I am so happy about!

I almost had to do it one time when ATC had me go around about 3 times due to congested airspace, but they were so busy I would have just diverted. I landed with about 800ibs in a 787 that day.

1 Like

Once when I was flying from Warsaw to Zurich on an Embraer E-170. I had only a minute or two of fuel left but on with clearance on final (on the Expert Server) an aircraft lined up on the runway out of nowhere. I had to perform a go around while also leaving the game.

3 Likes

A few days ago in the Singapore FNF.
Luckily it was at the start, so there was barely any people there.

I was inbound from Doha and I overslept by a good 1:30 hours. I had to come back, and the controller said to divert to another airport. He didn’t understand that Singapore was the only airport that was close enough!

Luckily he cleared me for landing, and I landed with 6 mins to spare! 😅

3 Likes

Yesterday at RPLL. Went around, too much traffic, declared emergency and was asked to divert.
Then I start an overnight flight without enough fuel, realized I’d have emergency fuel by landing in the morning, and diverted.

1 Like

Something a bit embarrassing …
The last time frequencies were opened in OMDB, I had an A321 from Etihad, there was too much traffic and I got too close an approach, when I was approaching it was a bit heavy and I couldn’t reduce speed and went to Go Around.
At that moment I contacted approach telling him that I had little fuel, he did his job very well and he authorized me very quickly, when he contacted the tower he authorized me to land and seconds later he told me to be slower, try to reduce speed but not lower much since It was very heavy (I sold all the tickets on this plane because they wanted to fly with me all 😂) the ATC sent Line up and Wait to a plane thinking that it would reduce more but realized that it was not and it was too late to take the plane that was on the track, so … another Go Around.
I did exactly the same thing just this time declaring myself in emergency for low fuel, the same approach ATC gave me vectors and authorization very fast! When I was at 5NM I decided to turn off an engine because if I was not going to get to the track, so I landed with an engine in Dubai in the middle of a big traffic and I assure everyone was watching me

1 Like

As a student pilot I try to keep it realistic. The legal minimum in the US is 30 minutes at standard burn rate and its an hour for my flying club, so I calculate my flight time and my average burn rate and either add an extra hour to my needed fuel or if doing VFR I land before I have less than an hour left. No problems so far.

1 Like

Never. I always set of with to much fuel anyway.

1 Like