What's actually the Plane of the Future? (Wendover Productions)

Wendover made this very interesting video just an hour ago. Very Interesting, even mentions briefly about how the world is soon going to run out of oil.

20 Likes

I believe we have 53 years of oil left. Which is very terrifying.

11 Likes

Less I’d say… about 20-30 years. And I think if we consider that at the end, the less oil will be there the most will be his price /barrel.
However nice video!
Let’s back on topic

3 Likes

Lithium glass batteries could be the breakthrough for short haul, and even long haul electric flight.

The designers could get very creative with wing design and release much more efficiency if they didn’t have to also use it as a fuel tank.

Which makes designing a new plane right now a headache.

Do you make it future proof, so a battery pack can be put in the hold, and a ducted fan could be placed where the jet engines are. Decisions decisions…

Don’t lose sleep over oil though. Oil reserves will deplete less rapidly as fossil fuel powered cars and trucks are banned (2040 seems to be a timeframe governments are aiming for) and electric cars take over. And green tech powers infrastructure. Solar and wind generation is plummeting in price.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this video. About time for a high capacity single aisle 757 replacement! Boeing should have stuck with the 787-3 and possibly made it a single aisle aircraft. I hope the use of oil will be scrapped in the next few decades and more efficient solar panels can be put into use to power cars and planes.

7 Likes

I bet the geniuses behind Boeing and probably even Airbus will come out with some genius fuel efficient aircraft so personally, I am not that worried…

1 Like

The EHEM BoeBus A797maxLR Solar is the Plabe of the Future.

3 Likes

I Hope and Believe that by 2040 most or all planes will be powered by Reusable Energy. Hopefully sooner

Did I see that right? Isn’t the 797 going to be twin isle like the a310? It almost appeared higher capacity then the 757. Either way, the 757 is one of my favorites and it definitely needs a follower!

I think the best option for Boeing and some airlines would be the re-engine the 757s or creating a 757MAx. It’s cheaper and can be in the air sooner than a “797”.

I do see one advantage to the 797. If I saw the video right, the 797 is going to be a twin isle aircraft that has about the same capacity as the 757. One major complaint about the 757 is that it’s long single isle design caused from lengthy loading and unloading times. (Especially on the 757-300) The twin isle 797 would solve this problem.

1 Like

Commercial Air Travel may have to deal with another problem in the future as stated in the video “high speed land transport” aka the Hyperloop

I love Wendover Productions. I have watched all of his videos, and I think they are really good. Usually very reliable, true and useful information. This time, however, it is different. For some reason, I am simply not buying it. From getting top speeds wrong, simplifying ranges or exemplifying with unplausible cities, I am just not believeing him. I am sorry, but do you really think that this 19 year-old can predict with such precision the Boeing 797? He never said he did, but he just added so much detail to something that we are just…well, we don’t know. We don’t know what the 797 will be like.
Also, even if is were true, do you ever think a ‘797’ would fly Spokane to Edinburgh? No matter how long and thin or efficient this is, that is just not going to happen.

1 Like

Boeing hinted towards the plane at the Paris Air Show and has commitments from several airlines.

I understand that, but is it really worth the millions, possibly billions that will be put into developing a new aircraft?

I just watched that video before the post

does a nuclear powered plane have a possibility? clean, and high density fuel. you can get nuclear powered trains and subs and boats etc.

Who’s says summary pendens why not wind turbines? There plane as it fly’s would generate electricity thus making the plane fly farther.

I don’t think so. I think we have millenniums left, we just haven’t been looking in the right places. We need to look in other parts of the ocean; not just where we currently have oil rigs. Also, like @Stephen_Smith said, the numbers in which we use oil will go down overtime as we get into other concepts.

In response to the video: I think we should just modify engines to handle hydrogen, the most common element, rather than make up new engines that use ultra rare metals that are almost more limited than oil. Same for cars, ships, trains, etc…

2 Likes

I thought about engines using hydrogen which would mean that planes now will still work just with different engines.

1 Like