What's a good VS to climb at?

Always think I’m ascending way too quickly.

1 Like

I normally climb at 2500 V/S.

6 Likes

Hi. Check out my tutorial on how to do so! :)

7 Likes

I climb at 4000ft/min

3 Likes

Around 3000ft

Depends on the aircraft, weight and weather. Often 2500 - 3500 is good, however aircraft such as the MD 80 and 717 climb a lot faster.

3 Likes

1800 is normal if you want your passengers to feel comfortable.

I do 3,000 until 10k feet, and then 2,500.

4 Likes

I usually do 2,500 until 10,000 feet, then I go down to 1,500 the rest of the way. There are some special cases, for example I believe when you fly out of EGLC you have to have a steep climb.

I climb at 5000ft/m and on some occasions 6000ft/m

3 Likes

Depends on the aircraft

2500-3600 is usually how I climb :)

@ogilbey. Well Pilot there are a number of factors that must be considered as you flight plan! You do flight plan I hope. There the weather to include the temp & dew point, your load factor, weight & balance, route, Pax load, , TOW, LW. Etc. You can also depend on the Forum experts, take the different numbers they suggest, add them together and divide by the total the solution should be ball park. Or you could look in the aircrafts operating handbook V graphs on Google and get the correct answer. Good Luck, Max

I aim for 3000

I do: 2,400 up until FL200, then 1,800 until FL250, then 1,200 until FL300 then 800 until crushing altitude

1 Like

+2000-3000 vs

1 Like

As I’ve said over and over and over again, google what the N1% should be in the climb phases for the aircraft you are using.

After takeoff, (after clean up - flaps retracted etc) set the correct N1%.

Adjust your VS to hold the correct speeds, for example

Imax 250knots IAS below 10,000feet
Around 280knots IAS from 10,000feet to FL180

In short, set your N1%, and use your VS to manage your airspeed, not the other way around…

1 Like

That’s way too much

That doesn’t even make sense…

General rule of thumb is that V/S is a vertical mode reserved for lower level flight where rate of climb might be considered important for congested airspace or where the flight profile (IR check/TCAS avoidance ETC) requires a specific climb rate for either handling exercises or procedural exercises (ILS).

At higher levels the requirement to maintain a specific airspeed (IAS or Mach) is generally the limiting factor for heavy jets. Stick V/S 2500 in the MCP window on a heavy and climb to F/L 380 and wait for the stall!!!

In a vertical mode such as V/S or FPA the aircraft systems when in autopilot will attempt to maintain the required vertical path by altering the lateral speed of the aircraft. E.G transfering energy from forward to vertical flight in the case of a climb. Thus if you are climbing the speed will constantly bleed off to maintain a high V/S until you hit the stall. Descending the speed will increase to maintain a high V/S.

The automatic flight systems on Boeing and Airbus will attempt to maintain approximately 2000fpm in FLCH or Open CLB/DES. You as the pilot will control the speed.

So, putting it all together your vertical speed ability is directly controlled by your starting altitude, your required altitude, the ambient conditions, wind velocity, mass and thrust available!

As has been stated above the best option is to calculate your engine climb power settings for the flight regime you are in and then apply those to the game. As the game doesn’t allow VNAV yet AFAIK you will then need to apply those settings, watch the V/S you get and apply that to the autopilot. Remember the ability to maintain that profile will change! Constantly check your power settings and update.

Alternatively hit CLB for the airbus or VNAV for the Boeing, sit back and have a cuppa. ;D

Hope that helps a bit.

8 Likes