Whatever happened to Southwest being the "low fare carrier"?

I was just looking for flights going out of my hometown airport (Long Island/Islip MacArthur) down to Ft. Lauderdale in Florida so I could visit some close relatives, nonstop on Southwest Airlines, I always fly them. The cheapest I could find was $147 per person per flight. I know it’s not that expensive, but a few months ago their fares were as low as $109 per person per flight, even when they weren’t having sales.
Yes, I know that typically fares get a little higher around the weekend, but they have been like this for the past 2 weeks or so.
Has anyone else noticed this as well for other flights?

4 Likes

Well with an increase in fuel prices which in turn puts up operations costs…

2 Likes

When I flew them my mom handled the purchases so I’m not sure. I heard something about like JetBlue and southwest are trying to transition to be like the major US carriers (i.e. United, American, and Delta)

1 Like

That’s a low fare (at least in my opinion). The only fare that’s lower is on NK ($87) and for a couple bucks more B6 ($111) out of JFK. See if you can book that $109 WN fare in the future – it might be a weekday-only fare, but sometimes these cheap fares come out depending on how early you book. Compared to the US3 legacies, I’d call that real cheap.

1 Like

It takes over $1000 a ticket to fly from my home town to Boston with Delta.

3 Likes

It isn’t expensive, but I’m saying that I’ve seen much cheaper and southwest is known for their low fares.

1 Like

hmm. It does seem odd, maybe like others have said because of tax and fuel

1 Like

Welcome to spring break pricing.

7 Likes

If you are looking for Fri Dep and sun arrivals it will be a bit higher. I have in the past paid $49 one way.

Plus they let you check in a couple of bags for free while other would charge a min of $20 each bag for each leg.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention this, as of the beginning of this month I was consistently able to find last minute fares for prices almost too low.

I check back for last minute fares as of yesterday and they are all sky high.

2 Likes

WHAT?!?

Are you kidding?

My god.

1 Like

Send me the link that shows where you found this information.

3 Likes

It’s been the same with Easyjet, they aren’t meant to be low cost but the prices are high & no one can beat Ryanair.

1 Like

They aren’t the “low fare carrier”. They offer seats at market price.

1 Like

The lowest Southwest fare for me (my mom) was $69 one way per person PHL-MCO

2 Likes

I live in Phoenix AZ, I see that flights tend to be lower in the western area of the country. Over Thanksgiving we got flights for $80 to Oakland to visit my cousins.

2 Likes

I used to fly Southwest from CVG to MCO round trip every month for $160.00 back in 2006. From what I hear their quality of service has increased.

2 Likes

I can beat that.

DEN-DAL for 1,800 rapid rewards points. For two.
Cash price of ticket was $44.00, for two.

Companion pass FTW.

3 Likes

Looking at a flight from NYC-FLL on different airlines on the next spring break from 14 April to 16 April, I found these results, sorted by price:

-Spirit Airlines: $371.18 r/t LGA-FLL-LGA
-Southwest Airlines: $371.88 r/t ISP-FLL-ISP
-Delta Air Lines: $444.00 r/t LGA-FLL-EWR
-JetBlue Airways: $483.10 r/t EWR-FLL-EWR
-United Airlines: $505.40 r/t EWR-FLL-EWR
-American Airlines: $600.60 r/t EWR-MIA-FLL-CLT-LGA

WN is only 70 cents more expensive than the lowest option NK for far more service, and is also at the least $70 cheaper than the nearest legacy carrier, Delta.

To me, it seems for breaks or year-round, that no airline is a low-cost carrier anymore. Even Spirit, the “bare fare airline,” is as expensive as Southwest which is $70 cheaper than Delta. While there are fares as low as $87 o/w on NK, it seems those are miracle fares – take them if you can because that’s the closest you’ll get to low-cost, especially on the East Coast.

3 Likes

You can’t beat the service of southwest, even though thier 70 cents more they are the best.

3 Likes