What would you do in this situation?

Hi guys,

I asked a similar question regarding pitching up however I wanted to get other pilots ideas on how they would go about this problem and what they would do in this situation… the pitching up looks pretty awful

Although the autopilot says -1000 v/s i was towards the set altitude and it was probably no more that -100 v/s

The load was 35%

I was on base inbound to land at the time. ATC has instructed me to reduce speed to 180 knots prior to this which is what has led to the pitching up but there’s nothing much I could do about this

Are there any real pilots/users with experience knowing if this happens in reality? What would real pilots do in this situation if so?

Thanks

2 Likes

I would adjust the trim.

You should definitely have a bit of flaps in at 180 on a heavy.

13 Likes

180 is slow for that plane. Try 200 or 225

You need to extend your flaps. Reduce your speed any more and you would have stalled out. Refer to the tutorial below if you need help with flaps.

6 Likes

I found trimming up (to make the plane pitch down?) made no difference

ATC instructed me to reduce to 180 and I was close to the plane ahead

Is it usual practice to deploy flaps before you’re on final?

In the post I made a few months ago I was told flaps should only be deployed on final

I do find adjusting flaps brings the pitch down though!

Flaps can be deployed on all stages of the pattern, and especially if you are flying a RNAV STAR it will usually send you straight to a final without downwind or base legs, so you should deploy them a bit earlier.

2 Likes

Adding yo when @Brandon_Sandstrom said, almost all aircraft (airliners that is) should start to think about having flaps some flaps below 200ish…

2 Likes

Yes flaps are speed dependent not position dependent.

10 Likes

Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated!

1 Like

Apply Flaps and when your on final decrease speed to 135 or 140 and apply full flaps

1 Like

You don’t have to necessary be flpas full all the time. Landing flap settings in a 744 is 25 or 30 so if the runway is long enough and the taxi way you want to vacate to is kinda far, you should use flap 25 like BA at EGLL.
And remember be fully configured before 3.5nm out!

1 Like

Yes. 180 seed on 747 luke you had it would be first notch above takeoff more’n likely. So 15 or 20. Or maybe 25m only fly the 747 like once or twice a year so.

As @Brandon_Sandstrom pointed out, flaps will be based on your speed.

I’ve deployed my flaps at 16,000 feet before because I needed to slow down and I was already at the appropriate speed to do so. It’s all about managing your speed on the descent.

4 Likes

Make sure your load is evenly spread out. I’ve seen many users ask why their plane was at an “angle” only to find out that all of their load was in either the back or the front, but be aware too of your flaps and speed, as well as trim.

@n587kk ive never had this issue personaly i dont think but most of the time if im at that alt i do everything manualy. sorry i couldnt help

I would look for a body of water that you could make a heading for to dump some fuel to make the aircraft more flyable and lighter.

In a 777 or a 747 if you are going too slow below Vref30+80kts (clean speed approx 220kts) you will have to extend flap to at least F1 or F5.

In the scenario you have above you are not yet at a stall but pretty close to it, certainly low energy flight.
Any turbulence or a rapid manoeuvre would bring on the stick shaker in real life! (and paperwork!)

So, in general, below 220 select f1 as you drop through 190kts take F5.

On an approach I generally aim to be 10nm from the field at the ILS or STAR altitude at 180kts Flap 5.