What would you do if you had Dual Engine Failure Right After Takeoff

What would you guys do if you had a dual engine failure right after takeoff? Im talking like gear up status. After doing some trails in Infinite Flight I landed back on the same runway that I took off from and hoped that the runway was long enough. Or I would be to fast and Tokyo Drift on a high-speed exit, then line up perfectly with the taxi way line.😂

3 Likes

Well, right after takeoff is almost unheard of I think. The chances of that happening must be pretty minuscule.

You could always attempt to divert to the closest airfield, or the nearest available runway, if possible.

The higher you are, the more choices you’ll have with a greater range.

and if all else fails, there’s always the Hudson ;)

35 Likes

I changed the title a bit to make sure it wasn’t clickbait.

Anyway, I would do what sully would have done or maybe even try to turn around

1 Like

Right after takeoff? Look of the largest piece of open land you can make it to and brace.

6 Likes

well, his bird strike wasn’t exactly right after takeoff… If you have the height however, then sure

3 Likes

If the airport was in some crowded city then there would be issues.

1 Like

Right after take off? I’d auto rotate to the ground #HelicopterPilot

8 Likes

Yeah I would say so. I could maybe land on a road if the plane was not too big

1 Like

I’ve heard that in a YouTube video as a joke. Do you happen to watch Bay Area Biggs?

I do not, time to youtube him!

BIGGS not Biggs sry

1 Like

You still got it wrong. I assume autocorrect is the culprit. Bay Area buggs 😂

3 Likes

In all seriousness, we practice this in gliders. If the rope between you and the towplane breaks right after takeoff, you’re in this situation.

Hopefully your club has a lot of space at the end of the runway so you can land straight ahead if you’re real low. If you’re higher than about 300 feet, turning around and performing a downwind landing is an option.

Edit: Not a dual-engine failure persay, but an all-engine failure nonetheless.

6 Likes

If you can’t make it to the runway, try landing in the water or in a grassfield

I had never simulated this, and I just did. Fully packed a 787-10 and just after lift-off and gear up, I switched off one engine. I was able to fly a pattern quite easily. The aircraft was leaning a bit, but nothing that a little rudder corrections couldnt fix. Landing wasnt great, but got there alright.

Nice test 😊

1 Like

Single engine failure, I’d immediately head back to the airport while at the same time looking for possible places to ditch/land in case the other engine fails.
And if the second engine does fail, then I’d try to look for some kind of highway/road. Or maybe a calm lake.

Follow the emergency procedures and use your CRM(Crew Resource Management) and hope for the best.

2 Likes

We trained that one in the Sim like hell. Engine Failure at V1. The only advice: follow the procedures

2 Likes

The procedures in my gliding club: We have a 1.300m (4,200ft) runway and we usually land straight forward if we’re under 70m (225ft), if we’re higher we proceed in a shortened circuit and slip on the runway and everything above 200m (650ft) proceeds on a normal approach.
I tried to slip in IF but it doesn’t really work xD

1 Like

Step 1: Brace position, head as far as can go in between your legs.
Step 2: Pucker your lips. This will lessen energy velocoty into your body.
Step 3: Kiss your… goodbye.