What to do when flying over an active airport?

Hi Community!

So, I’ve just flown EGCC to EDDL, and my FPL took me directly over EHAM (Amsterdam) which at the time, had active ATC (TWR and GRD). My cruise is at FL330, so I know I can’t request a transition. So, I monitor TWR frequency instead. I then get asked for my intentions when directly over the airport. I obviously can’t just say, hey yeah I’m just monitoring, so I ask for a transition just so the controller knows that I’m just flying over, as there is no other way to ask. I then get instructed to check the community for tutorials.

What should I have done in this situation because, it can be a little fustrating when the “check tutorials” message pops up. I’ve been flying on IF since 2015!

Thanks and stay safe!
Samuel R

2 Likes

Hey,

If you cruise over an airport, you don’t need to do anything. On the Expert Server, we’ll never ask for your intentions at such a height. On the Training Server, things are different. Controllers are learning the ropes and may give you some confusing instructions.

At cruise, you do not need to monitor any frequency. This may be why you were told to check the help pages, but you should contact the controller in question if in doubt. At such a height, you should not contact any active frequency.

You only need to request transition if you’re flying below 5,000ft AGL. You should also only contact a Radar frequency (Approach/Departure) if at 18,000ft AGL or below.

Thanks,
Patrick

7 Likes

If that has been on Expert: Your best bet would be to PM the controller on what would have been the best way to deal with the situation.

Also it’s great that you took time to actually ask on the IFC, which is really good!

2 Likes

For reference, I was on expert. I just thought it would be good pratice to monitor incase of traffic etc, but then that could be avoided.

Hey,

You may wish to monitor but, as I said in my previous post;

Do not contact Radar above 18,000ft AGL or Tower above e 5,000ft AGL. Do not request transition above 5,000ft AGL.

This isn’t proper practice and may be why you were told to check the forums, which you’ve done — well done!

Thanks,
Patrick

Thanks Julian! I might do that. Thought it would be best to check here because, obvs you have to be 5000ft below for transition.

1 Like

Thanks Patrick, I was just ensuring that the controller knew I was there and flying over. It was expert so I try and take precausions to not get ghosted 😂👍

Yeah, that’s true too. Sending a PM just really helps to reduce the speculation in my personal experience, which I personally always really appreciate.

2 Likes

Ok, I shall do that. Thanks!

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like

@samueltherohtlaan… MaxSez: It’s obvious the Controller was not IFATC! They know the floor for unhindered transit in Controlled Airspace is 050AGL n IF! Your Flight Plan is your ticket to travel, marginal performance by a Controller which is a nuisance should be responded with “FLYING VFR”. Let “Them ear cake”!
MaxSends

Monitoring Traffic is a Good Thing! The communication system is available to all always and is goood Procedure!

Hey,

Great initiative! It’s just a bit wrong.

IFATC controllers will already know you’re there. Informing us when you’re at cruise is wrong. You will never be ghosted for flying over an airport at cruise without contacting its controllers.

Thanks,
Patrick

1 Like

Hi Max, I get partly what your saying but a little confused on what you’re trying to say. Could you explain? :D

Ok, Thanks Patrick! I’ll make sure to keep that advice!

He’s saying that the controller should’ve known you were higher than 5,000ft AGL and that the fact your flight plan will have not had the controlled airport as its destination means you shouldn’t have been bothered. His advice in future is to tell them you’re not flying VFR and continue on your way. (paraphrased) @Maxmustang, correct any errors if you want. Beautiful Marie Antoinette pun by the way, haha!

Samuel, in future, please don’t contact frequencies above the necessary height. It is wrong.

1 Like

Ah ok thanks. For reference,

I monitor TWR frequency instead.

Thanks for all the help guys. Stay safe!
:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.