What to do if the gate is taken upon arrival

I’m going to be flying to KLAS tomorrow, and I’ll be flying a B789. I know that the parking spots for that aircraft are very limited at that airport and will most likely be of high demand. The gate I wanted to go to or all the gates might be taken. In case this ever happens, what should I do—in terms of interacting with ATC—if my gate is taken? Should I continue to “taxi to parking” but just go to a different gate? I just want to make sure I don’t get confused if it happens.

1 Like

Any gate that’s still available (of your choosing) you would taxi to.

1 Like

Yes I’m aware but what if all the gates suitable for my aircraft are taken

Usually if the airport can hold an aircraft of that size there should be some extra space to hold and wait that is away from active taxiways. It really depends on the airport. If you do have to wait for a gate to open up, find a suitable place that won’t cause any interference and hold. If your airport doesn’t have space for whatever reason and the gates are full, you really can’t do anything and may have to end your session to avoid conflict with other traffic on the ground. The chances of that happening are pretty low.

6 Likes

Thank you so much! I know that the chances are low but I want to avoid confusion in the event of something like that happening.

1 Like

This is only ever happened to me once and I just kept taxing until there was an open gate

1 Like

In the past I’ve just picked a random inactive taxiway away from other traffic and parked there until my gate freed up.

In real life planes may taxi around the airport, park on taxiways and even runways while waiting for a gate. This sometimes even happens when waiting for their departure, too.

1 Like

Closed upon request