What to do if ATC didn't allow me to do traffic pattern?

Hey guys. What should I do if I need to do pattern work, but ATC didn’t allow me it (Unable pattern work)?

1 Like

You can’t do traffic patterns at that airport

3 Likes

In this case, it would be when airports are busy. My advise would be to just file a flightplan and fly to a different airport(where you can do patten work) or abandon the plan to do a pattern altogether.

2 Likes

You can search ifatc.org for less busy airports that are open, the controller at the less busy airport would appreciate the patterns. :)

11 Likes

Do not do this. Unable pattern work means no pattern work, simple as that. If the airport is indeed not too busy as you mentioned they would’ve allowed pattern work in the first place.

9 Likes

as people have said above, go to a less busy airport or find an airport that doesnt have ATC and do patterns there.

2 Likes

they do care, speaking from IFATC view as a controller. pilots that do this we find as an inconvenience and are annoying

7 Likes

no. you are not supposed to do that.

I would recommend going to another, less busy airport to do traffic patterns. Probably one that is uncontrolled is your best bet.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. I can say from a controller’s standpoint that I enjoy having pattern work, just not when it makes it too challenging with the amount of traffic. After all, patterns are a lot better with ATC.

2 Likes

Please see the highlighted post by Trio