What the heck just happened?

I know many people have questions about approach mode and while I was one of them I have learned to somewhat Master it and so please do not comment below linking me to tutorials. I was on my Approach into San Paulo, all things normal, speed correct, altitude correct, angle coming into the localizer I was coming in straight in. I activated approach 15 miles out, I usually turn it on 5 minutes before to correct for any minor lining up issues with the localizer. And it Immediately started to sway back and forth dramatically. Realize I have seen this mode be successful in way worse circumstances, but as I said I was coming in straight in and it started to sway way back and forth and it would compensate for it massive sway to the left by massively going back into the right but always way too late and never ending on Centerline. There are some times that it takes like three miles to fix alittle lining up problems but as you can see in this picture it never did and I eventually had to disengage it and land it by hand. If you can’t tell from the picture I was flying the A330. Again do not link any tutorials below because I know how to use this mode and I know for a fact that it was acting abnormal. Please also don’t tell me that I have to disengage it because that’s not realistic and I’ve never had that work for me in the past.

6 Likes

Usually I activate it 12nm out and i come on a 30° angle to the pattern

1 Like

Can you see your speed again? maybe thats because your speed is dangerously low

2 Likes

I’m guessing it has to do with the distance u activate it at and the angle at which u came in the pattern

1 Like

So… Lets see. Im a grade 4 pilot and have not used APPR/NAV for a while so I think that maybe if we look at your flight plan, speed and weight we can figure this out!

1 Like

At 7 miles I drop it down to 165 knots because I was thinking the drastic swaying to try to maintain Centerline to be because by too much speed.

2 Likes

Also maybe we could go into a flight and check this problem out

You maybe need to slow down to 140-135 knts

160 knts on a ILS landing is too fast. maybe the autoland want detected that you are too fast and wanted a go around

2 Likes

As I said this method for using approach I have mastered and used over 100 times. My angle of attack was fine and my altitude was fine, my speed was consistent with every other Landing I’ve ever done.

This is an issue that I also have with certain planes. No matter what I do, on a select few planes APPR mode doesn’t work, so I just hand fly the approach.

1 Like

My approach speed on my visuals is usually around 130-125 kts

Okay I’m getting reports that my speed is too fast And that it was too slow. Which one is it. I consistently land planes around 140 knots. I would say that’s a good average across the board if Landing speeds right?

1 Like

140-130 knots is the normal landing speeds

What was ur speed when u activated the appr mode

1. It is always 180 when I activate it
1 Like

That was too fast lmao. 140 is the normal speed

No 165 is what I dropped down to about 7 miles out.

1 Like

depends on the weight of the plane and wind. If there is heavy wind and your plane is at its max landing weight that could also affect it

1 Like

Try activating it at 195kts
That’s the speed I use on any plane
And when it has centerline I start reducing speed

This is a good speed, the issue is not anything you’re doing, it’s a problem with APPR that some people encounter on some aircraft.