What % should my throttle be at when landing

@leQuestions I feel sorry for your passengers… 😉

4 Likes

What ???😕😕

Every aircraft is totally different.

If you’re flying a commercial airliner, in IF, a good easy general rule is to keep your pitch (nose up) about 3 degrees. Use your HUD for this. Then adjust the throttle to maintain a steady rate of descent of between 700fpm and 800fpm. Remember, pitch controls your speed, and throttle controls your rate of descent in this configuration. You need to find the ‘sweet spot’ and learn each aircraft.

Some examples, the B717 with about 3 degrees pitch, 32% throttle should hold about 142 knots for your approach at 700fpm at 30 degrees flaps.

The B737 with about 3 degrees pitch, 60% throttle should hold about 138knots for your approach at 700fpm with 30 degrees flaps.

Avoid coming in with your nose pointed down. This is caused by a way too high indicated Airspeed. slow and steady, and have the aircraft completely configured for landing by 1000feet AGL

4 Likes

I to feel sorry for your passengers

1 Like

A better question would be what speed

1 Like

1200-1500 a min for landing?? that’s a crash! you should aim to touch down around the 500-700fpm mark. As others said its all about getting the speed right, for the right flap settings for the different aircraft

2 Likes

Indeed. And just to add, for a stable approach you shouldn’t really be (or need to be) descending at over 1000fpm at any stage once established on the ILS.

1 Like

Ahh approach is 700fpm, touching down at 500-700fpm will cause you some serious dramas and put your landing gear struts straight through the bottom of your fuselage!

That’s what the ‘flare’ is for!!

3 Likes

thanks, that is a better way of putting it! aim for that figure …before the flare!

1 Like

I Land with -100 - -300 before touchdown, is that good?

1 Like

I normally touch down with 100-200fpm, 400fpm at most if im a little high XD

@MJames knows his stuff!

Keep the aircraft approximately level. Adjust power to maintain about -700 fpm down the glideslope. Around 30ft AGL, bring throttles to idle and flare. This varies a bit by aircraft.

2 Likes

This may help…

1 Like

Throttle to idle when landing (0%)… Disturbing people your trying to stop a plane but you have throttle on! what is wrong with you please tell me none of you are pilots…

In my opinion you should learn the landing speed of your aircraft and use your throttle to keep it around the same speed so your throttle will always be changing its your airspeed that you need to try to keep the same :)

1 Like

You never completely idle the throttle unless you’re around 30ft from the runway or in a prop plane since jets stall easily with the throttle at 0% for a long period of time…

Landing is the process of setting the plane down on a runway if you’re talking about approach throttle is never idle but landing yes throttle to idle

1 Like

I usually keep my speed around 180 when landing on takeoff I usually pull up at about 190 (if it is a long runway)

1 Like

Besides the flare which is also part of the landing stage…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.