What should I do?

Let’s say I’m approaching runway 18R at EHAM. But I announce a go around and the tower tells to make right traffic. Should I enter right base, or right downwind. Or just go straight and wait for tower to help me further?

1 Like

Right down wind ?

1 Like

Fly the upwind leg and join right traffic aka right crosswind\ downwind\ base\ final.

8 Likes

If you receive a go around, make right traffic command, you are essentially re-entering the pattern (right crosswind, right downwind, right base, then back on final). The same deal goes for left traffic.

4 Likes

Normally you have to flight straight out until reach pattern altitude (3000 for. Jet?) before entering down wind etc.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Its 1,500ft for a jet.

1,000ft for props

5 Likes

If you go around, sidestep the runway and fly upwind until pattern altitude, then turn crosswind and downwind and rejoin the normal pattern.

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa 3,000 that’s twice as high as you should be.

3 Likes

From what I hear in real ATC transmissions, the clearance is usually given to climb and maintain 3,000ft. 1500ft seems a bit low.

4 Likes

I thought it was 3,000…

2 Likes

3000 ft sounds a good altitude.

for what airport? ATC will tell you to climb to a certain height MSL not AGL, and only a radar controller will assign you an altitude a tower controller won’t. TPA is 1,000 AGL for light aircraft. 1,500 AGL for heavy aircraft. Visual traffic patterns are flown at a maximum of 5 miles from the airfield hope that helps

1 Like

Can someone clarify this for me please, I’ve been wondering about this specifically but I forget to ask. For the go around do you fly straight above the runway on runway heading or do you side step to the upwind leg?

There used to be a screen where you could see an airspace’s pattern altitudes, I think they took that screen away a while back if I’m not mistaken. Is IF pretty consistent with the 1,000/1,500 rule?

1 Like

@CptNathanHope @Boeing_777

Pattern altitudes in IF are as @AdamCallow said.

Pattern altitudes usually range between 1000ft agl to 2000ft agl IRL.

If you turn a 3 mile base, you don’t want to be at 3k trying to defamed when you consider you should intercept the localizer around 10 mile final at 3k…

3 Likes

There was never traffic pattern information in app airspace altitudes but not pattern.

1 Like

Sidestep to the upwind leg.

If you are given a go around due to an aircraft on the runway, offset.

If you go around in your own due to low ceilings, wind or whatever reason, fly runway heading

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ve definitely done some incorrect go arounds. I usually begin ascent and break off to the left or right immediately after the command. Also thank you @Brandon_Sandstrom

2 Likes