What should I do?

I am currently flying from LAX-EHAM in a B772, and am at my cruising altitude of FL410, but I am decreasing in speed. Should I dump some fuel? Or should i go down to a different altitude? I’m currently at 206kn, and am going down not significantly, but still frightening…

2 Likes

How far into the flight are you? FL410 is pretty high for the start

3 Likes

Decrease your altitude!!! If you’re at or near the start of the flight

What is your current power setting?

The higher you go, the slower you go

2 Likes

I don’t really know but descending will help. I’ve had this problem in the A350 and after going down to a lower altitude I gained back the speed.

1 Like

25 minutes right now. I step climbed at about 1900 feet per minute

Yeah, I’d say don’t get up that high until much later. I’d descend down to FL330. The more fuel you burn, the higher you can go

1 Like

How close are you to stalling?

Yea you wanna decrease you are extremely heavy right now so that’s what is decreasing your airspeed

1 Like

WOAH! False alarm! It must have been a glitch. I literally just jumped to 288kn, and now overspeeding. Thanks for the help though everyone! I will use this when I need too

Yeah your probably to high for that altitude. Try FL350 or 330 should be smoother

1 Like

Now I’m confused but when am I not 😂

1 Like

Same with me 🤣

1 Like

If your close to stalling, you don’t want to fall out of the sky like the Air France Airbus A330 did over the Atlantic, because nose up stalls are super dangerous. Pitch down and increase throttle to avoid this.

1 Like

Nobody flies at FL410 right from the start of a long haul flight. Descend to say FL330 or FL350. Burn some fuel, then climb to a higher altitude.

1 Like

Thats a different case they didnt stall cause they were over weight they stalled because there pitot tube froze causing the AP to temporarly disconnect and the F/O over reacted and started to pull up instead of keeping level. Then when it was to late thats when the Captain came in and realized he was pulling up

Thing is, I am now perfect on fuel. Which, ironically, is not good. So, should I fly at a faster speed to save fuel? Or a slower speed to save fuel? Specifically what speed? Sorry for all the non professionalism, I haven’t really done this before, so it’s awesome having all you guys as my virtual copilots. And also awesome for all the help you have given me.

9:48 hours to London Heathrow…
9:49 hours left on fuel…

Why isn’t it good?

1 Like

Don’t worry about it because as you lose fuel your power setting will reduce causing you to save on fuel

1 Like