What’s Your Scariest IF Piloting Experience?

We’ve all had those moments when we thought for sure we were gonna crash. What’s your absolute scariest moment while flying in IF?

I have to say this morning, while I was flying with @TheCanadianPilot from Minneapolis to Duluth, Minnesota. The visibility was good and dandy until a super thick cloud cover/fog rolled in over the entire Duluth area, to the point where I was about 30 feet AGL before I was able to even see the runway lights.

I wasn’t adequately prepared and was on an ILS approach using APPR, rather one of the published arrivals and subsequent approaches. I was planing to fly it in using regular autopilot, then take the controls on final and land, like pilots normally do in good weather.

I ended up doing two go arounds before finally getting it right. The final failed attempt put me way off center, to the point where I thought I might go speeding off the runway. It worked out fine in the end.

7 Likes

My first flight. Nothing more to say.

7 Likes

First time being on expert

5 Likes

Same. My first time on expert, I was at Philadelphia Airport, and as soon as I saw that first ATIS message, I was like

16 Likes

Simple: Every time I fly into Paro Bhutan
To date, I’ve only ever landed on my first approach twice, and I’ve flown there about 30 times 😑😬

5 Likes

I haven’t had many due to how much of a professional pilot I am

Once I had a fuel issue where the fuel was in kg but I put pounds, crashed on final🥲

6 Likes

whenever I fly over Antarctica or its surrounding ocean, I always feel at unease… not like im gonna crash, but like somethings watching me, from below, and im thousands of kilometres or even miles from the nearest town. im defenceless down there, no way to be intercepted in the case of any issue.

7 Likes

Scariest? Oh man… Whenever i’m flying to an airport that is having an event that i wasn’t aware of. Especially if it’s an airport with a single runway and there’s over a dozen planes waiting for me to land. And then the focus comes in on trying to butter.

3 Likes

“please follow instructions or you will be reported”

6 Likes

The scariest moment for anyone in IF is when they see ME!..…
Because im that one weird boi that flys nothing other then the MD-11 on the most unrealistic routes possible, And no I will not stop:>

4 Likes

Flying into Toncontin with 0 visibility 😑

“Please expedite traffic on final”

2 Likes

A: First flight on Expert
B: First Flight on Training
C: My first actual scariest story, so I was flying an Icelandair 757 out of JFK, and after 20 or so minutes, I see a fighter jet on the radar fast approaching, first at yellow, then red, and ATC never said anything, most likely he was out of range. So then he appears on starboard side, and sways to the port side. Then I disable autopilot and turn side to side, and suddenly, after climbing, his plane sinks and instantly falls into the terrain. After that the rest of the flight was uneventful.

3 Likes

I remember I was cocky and got that, instantly turned my mood around!

2 Likes

First time on an event, what was also my first flight in the expert server. I saw the atis and the approach and i was like frick

2 Likes

When I wasnt able to turn off autopilot infront of everyone at an event (SFO-LAS youtube stream),
so i landed at a steady 140kts with no flair -700fpm and a slight turn to the right because my GPS was still on

now i hand fly all approaches

1 Like

Dramatic go around at LHR after someone decided to take off on the wrong runway, in the wrong direction

2 Likes

Landing in Mumbai with zero visibility and 2%left of fuel 🥶🥶

2 Likes

Oh it was sure foggy alr.

2 Likes

A couple hotfixes ago there was a bug where the device would calibrate mid-flight without you asking it to. I fly with my iPad propped up on a case, so it calibrated in an extremely vertical position. When I went to disconnect AP for landing (less than 1000 AGL) I was holding my iPad in a less-vertical angle and as a result I nose dived straight towards the ground (I believe this was a CRJ as well so it all happened real quick). Managed to save it by pulling up hard and I think fully extending the flaps to 45 from 30 to stave off a stall if memory serves.

1 Like