What’s It Like Being On a Long Haul?

I had a dream last night. I’m the dream, my dad basically came up to me one day and said “get in the car, we’re flying to [somewhere in South America].” To say the least, I was scared. A. Because I didn’t want to go anywhere in SA and B. I had never been on a long haul, and that particular flight would have been a huge step up for me.

Weird dreams aside, when I woke up, it made me wonder “what is it like being on a long haul?” Sometimes I can barely stand short hauls because sitting in a chair with nothing to do is irritation to me (for some reason). Anyway, to those who have been on a long haul, what’s it like?

6 Likes

I enjoy my long haul flights because of my passion for aviation. I was also decently comfortable, and I enjoy food service options. It also has the same amazing energy as any flight, but enhanced. Lots of people, especially families, are excited. It’s great to interact with crews as well. But I would say the biggest thing is the excitement to be going to a new, faraway place.

PS: Maybe consider opening up to South America! There are some cool places to visit. :)

6 Likes

Do you usually fly economy or business/first?

2 Likes

I personally enjoy flying long hauls, having flown then very often in my life. The economy seat may seem slightly uncomfortable at first, but you gradually get used to it. The time passes much faster than you think it does to be honest, I just look out of the window and/or go on my iPad. Another good option (which I can never do for the life of me haha) is to just grab a travel pillow, and just let the constant sound of the engines lull you to sleep.

3 Likes

I flew economy on my most recent trip because it was a gift. I have flown premium economy products before, and hope to fly in business/first sometime soon!

3 Likes

I always get bored at long hauls, but most of the time before our long haul flight, I stay up really late so I sleep for most of the time in the airplane.

3 Likes

Been on some long hauls in my day. I mean its mostly sitting and watching movies, tv shows or listening to music and sleeping. Not really much to it. Never been in business class or first class. Now I’m only talking 7-9 hour flights. Never done anything longer than that.

1 Like

I’ve been on a total of two long hauls: KDEN-EDDM and back. They were both on a LH A346. The experiences were quite captivating, because they were my first international flights, they were on a plane I’d never been on before, and they led me to Austria (I did EDDM-LOWW and back but that’s a short haul). I didn’t get tired of my chair, because I was so enthralled with flying. It’s also nice being able to sleep in a comfortable position (we had Premium Economy) like where in a shorter flight, you sleep in an awkward position. We had screens that popped up, and it was fun to watch the flight as it really was (airspeed, location, ETE to Dest, etc).

Overall, I enjoy flying long hauls, and hope to do it again someday.

2 Likes

I travel extensively for work, and have come to enjoy long haul flights. I travel LAX-Brisbane several times per year and have a couple margaritas in the airport before departure. Once onboard, I have dinner and a glass of wine, then sleep 9-10 hours. Once I wake up, we’re still a few hours away, so I turn on the TV and watch a movie.

Makes the world feel like a very small place…

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve only been on one long haul route, but there are still opportunities to enjoy the flight.

The only LH flight I’ve been on is JFK-GYE (South America) and back. The benefit of the route is that it’s an overnight flight. Obviously you might think that I might sleep through the 6 hour journey but that’s a no. When I last flew this, the flight did seem longer than expected, so in order to compensate for this issue, I watched some movies and stayed up till like 4AM. I enjoyed this flight because of the service onboard and hospitality, so thanks LATAM.

It really just depends on the airline and aircraft. If an airline offers subpar long haul services, then the flight could just be boring. However, if an airline offers a wide selection of movies, great meals, and adequate amenities, then you’re in for a treat. Aircraft is also another factor. If you’re flying a LH on an A380, you’re probably going to have a comfy flight whereas if you fly in a cramped 737 MAX on a LH, you might just feel a little claustrophobic.

Overall, it’s your preference. You might or might not know what to expect from a LH flight. Sure it may be an endless flight, but if you take advantage of the amenities, products, and services, then you could have a blast onboard. :)

1 Like

Music, and ilentertainment is how you get through it. Fly in a few days early to readjust to that time zone though

1 Like

I’ve flown EWR-HKG in business, and it feels like you are on the plane FOREVER, but in a good way. But I have also flown it in economy, and the best way to pass the time is looking out the window (my entertainment) or watching movies, shows, sleeping. Also, if your flight isn’t full, you may be able to find an empty row at the back to stretch out, especially on a wide-body. :)

2 Likes

A related side note: long-haul quality of the US domestic carriers needs to improve versus the overseas competition. I’m very a loyal Delta flyer. However, they are very late to the game with their premium economy (branded Premium Select) offerings. Asian, European, and even Canadian domestics have offered high quality premium economy for years (wider seat with double the recline, plated meals, stand-up bar w/good booze…basically domestic first class but below int’l biz class), while the American domestics offered two free drinks in a plastic cup and six inches of legroom.

1 Like

True. Luckily, the U.S. carriers are slowly improving their business class products.

2 Likes

I’ve done IAD-DXB a couple times, and actually it’s quite boring. It’s quite literally like sitting in a chair for 14 hours.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a few long hauls, not too much different from short hauls except you get more food, ok the plane longer, and typically the plane is larger. You can sleep on the long haul aircraft and it’s quite comfortable

1 Like

I flew Asiana from Seoul to JFK and the last few rows were completely empty so I made the most of it with my pillow and blanket lol.

1 Like

Lol you were allowed to do that?

I am often flying on Thai Airways B777 from Copenhagen to Kastrup. I fly on Royal Silk, and i love to watch some good movies, eat some good food. 10 Hours go fast when your having fun ✌🏼

1 Like

Yeah, as long as no one’s sitting there

1 Like