What runway to land on?

Hello IFC ! I had a question : how do I know what runway I should land on (in an airport that has no ATC ) if both ends of the runway are green ? I am asking this question because I am about to land in ZBAA and I can I see that traffic is departing on the opposite end of the runway that I am about to land on .

1 Like

switch runways to the one the traffic is using to avoid go-arounds.

5 Likes

as what @IFSpencer said or in the event that there’s no traffic at all, I’ll use FR24 to see which runway the real-world traffic is using

4 Likes

Check Metar in airport information. For example:

EGPH 101050Z 04005KT 9999 SCT022 BKN037 22/18 01016

EGPH = Edinburgh Airport
101050Z = Date 10 of August, Time 1050 in Zulu
04005KT = Wind blowing from angle 040, 5 knots
9999 = Visibility greater than 10km
SCT022 = Scattered clouds at FL022
BKN037 = Broken clouds at FL037
22/18 = Temperature 22, dew point 18
01016 = QNH 1016

By reading this metar you can know the wind is blowing from north east to the airport, so runway 06 should be in use.

5 Likes

A good resource is FR24, as mentioned. METAR provides a good indication in regards to wind. However, aircraft’s are capable to land with tailwind up to 7kts. So a runway can still be in use even if winds come from an non optimal landing direction. There are some airports around the globe that offer an ILS approach only from one direction. So preferably this runway is in use until tailwind exceeds a safe landing. Hope this helps :)

2 Likes

The number of knots tailwind component is aircraft specific. I know for example the 737 is 10 knots.

Also yeah, many airports have a preferred runway. In the Northern Hemisphere, if there are not other factors like airspace, ILS capability, taxiway / runway exit layout, or terrain, you’ll probably find this is a westerly flow because of the prevailing wind.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. 7kts is a rule of thumb and the exact value definitely refers to the plane in use.
As you said and what I tried to point out: there are preferences for each airport including multiple factors and not only the METAR. FR24 is a good resource, but when all pilots land in a different direction than real traffic does it doesn’t make sense to push rl patterns :)

2 Likes

Hey mate,

Your best bet is to firstly look at the METAR for the airport and land on the runways that are best suited to the current wind at the airport.

It’s also important to check the traffic flow at the airport as well, and be sure to land with the traffic flow, rather than against it.

For example, say KLAX had winds of 70@4KTS, but the traffic is landing on the 24/25’s, then you should land there as well.

The threshold we use in Infinite Flight, is that you can land with a tailwind if required for anything under 10kts.

1 Like

A good way to check is FL24, but if winds are under about 8kts you can land in either runway.

1 Like

If both end of runway is green land on the runway that other traffic is landing on

Oh yeah sorry, wasn’t trying to disagree :)

1 Like

No worries, our thoughts are heading the same direction :)

1 Like

Thank you everyone !

2 Likes

you can check real world traffic on flightradar24.com to see what runway is in use. for airports in the US, you can search up the airport icao and then “datis”. for example, you want the ATIS for jfk? simply search up “kjfk datis” and you’ll see what runway(s) is/are in use. alternatively, you can go on liveatc.net, search up an airport, and maybe it will have the ATIS information and you will be able to hear it like the real pilots. this is for select airports and not all of them will have this feature. cheers!

1 Like

Hey mate, as multiple people mentioned, all you need to do is check the wind, and land into it, or check what runway is being used on Flightradar24.com
Hope we helped :)

3 Likes

Thanks for your help IFC ! You are always here to answer my questions 😉

3 Likes

Just a heads up there is no such thing as FL 022… Flight levels don’t start until 18,000ft

Not really. Flight level is used only above the transition altitude, in US and Canada TA is always 18000ft, which is different than other countries.

1 Like

EGPH transition altitude is 6000ft. I should’ve used 2200ft and 3700ft. My bad haha

1 Like

I would ask for traffic advisory or choose the side with more headwind and less crosswind component if there is no other aircraft

1 Like