What real life mistakes have you done in the air?

Lets hear about some actual mistakes that were done by you guys in the air either whilst you were training or a little further down the line ;)

My worst one had to be slamming on the brakes as soon as I touched down on a grass runway in a 172, first ever landing I did myself and my instructor gave me… Strong words of advice xD

Share your stories!

2 Likes

I forgot the PIC’s coffee in the break room, will never mess that up again…

8 Likes

Oh boy… 😂

I think the worst mistake I’ve done was when I was doing an engine failure in a hover, also known as a hover auto.
The procedure is to roll throttle off into detent and raise the collective to touch down softly we do these about 2 - 5 inches off the ground. Instead I rolled throttle off and raised the collective that the helicopter got about 10- 15ft and spun while coming down. Will never do that ever again.

2 Likes

Hard one… probably deciding it was a good idea to land a Cessna 172 on a 3500X50 door runway with a 30 knot 90 degree x-wind

4 Likes

Christ… How did you even manage that 😂😂

3 Likes

I’m going to go with things that didn’t really happen for 500…

7 Likes

Most crosswind I managed were 14kn in a tiny Aquila, but 30? 😂

3 Likes

Right! 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 Likes

Okay. Compared I was with my CFI and my brother but okay

Prob broadcasting the wrong info over frequency about my current location. I corrected myself immediately after 😂

2 Likes

Isn’t the xwind component on the 172’s 15kn or so? I mean I know it’s not their true limit but still

2 Likes

Probably never want to fly with those two again if they allowed you to do that. I had google the cross wind limits of a 172 and it’s 15 (according to the POH). Bad idea having a certified instructor even allowing you to do that.

1 Like

It’s like 20. Winds weren’t forecast to be past 20 but there It was.

I do this all the time, or on the wrong CTAF frequency it’s pretty awkward hearing “try .8 you’re on .9”

1 Like

I’m still waiting on the day I accidentally broadcast f…truck instead of foxtrot, I know it’s gonna happen at some point

2 Likes

I once left my parking brake on. Taxied out, took off, and landed at another airport like that. End result…brake fluid everywhere and a blown out right side brake. Whoops!

1 Like

surely you noticed something off!! 😂 That’s just horrible xD

1 Like

How… like didn’t you notice it taxing out?

1 Like

The parking brakes on my school’s 172s are nearly worthless. Nothing seemed off at all…goes to show how weak those brakes are!

2 Likes