What planes to avoid?

So if I am going on a 5+ hour flight, and want it to be smooth, not as much turbulence, better leg room maybe, just all around general flight. What are the planes to avoid and planes to take? FYI there will most likely be a dash8 connector flight in the beginning.

4 Likes

Personally at all cost I try to avoid the Dash 8. I’m 6’2 and it’s extremely uncomfortable for me. I typically ride a 737 series out of Alaska and try get either 1st class or business with Alaska since it’s a tad roomer.
The 757 also is a great plane I typically will also fly 1st or business for leg room.

5 Likes

Just Ryan Air in general.
Oh sorry ‘planes’, um… they have a few umm, I think the 737😜

7 Likes

I’m not excited about the dash 8. I fly c130s, but we don’t get rocked around like I see those things doing. And I have no idea how small it is on the inside.

3 Likes

You rather be on a Herc then a Dash 8. Use that Soace A ability if possible to your destination lol

2 Likes

I would agree on avoiding the Dash 8. I once had to endure a 3 hour flight in that thing and resulted in me having horrible leg cramps for about a week after.

Also the Dash 8 IS VERY LOUD in my opinion

3 Likes

That sucks! I’m so sorry hear about that.

I avoid The Dash 8, and Slob 340/2000 unforently sometimes here it’s he only way to get to places ugh

1 Like

I think the Dash is good for flights that aren’t over 2 hours. The Dash is a wonderful plane with very powerful engine. I would think the 737 or A321 is a good aircraft to fly…

1 Like

Any low cost carrier airline for 5 hours… if you have the money then avoid economy at all cost

2 Likes

If flying a wide body, avoid 787 and try and take A330 or B767 so that you can take one of the two seats by the windows (they are usually in a 2-4-2 configuration). I personally prefer the B737 over A320, however that’s just a personal opinion. Embraers are awesome and I would try and take them over any bombardier or other regional aircraft. They are spacious and usually quite quiet.

3 Likes

If you think the current Dash 8’s are loud then you’ll be shocked to learn that they’re actually quieter today than in years past.

I think it was in 1996 (± a couple years) that Bombardier began adding sound dampening and vibration dampening systems into these commercial turboprops. As a result most of these newer Dash 8’s have been getting the letter “Q” added as a representation in the model that its a “Quiet” model. (ie. Dash 8-Q400) Learn something new everyday.

If you’re living in a country where pre-2000 manufactured Dash 8’s operate, then it would make sense as to why they’re loud.

Just be glad you’re not flying on an MD88. Talk about loud? Hit up the last few rows in this giraffe and you’ll be in for a ride of your life.

16 Likes

Hmm I would say that if you get an Airbus aircraft then that’s always better, I still believe that are designed with comfort in mind, more so than Boeing aircraft. The B777 is a great aircraft though also, the B757 and B767 can be okay but most likely not if the interior is as old as the aircraft.

1 Like

Uh, I don’t think he needs to worry about the dash… 😂

4 Likes

Avoid the old AA Super MD80s and the DL88/90/717. They are old and incredibly loud in the back. Also no entertainment. UA/DL 767s/757s are great but AAs are absolutely terrible.

1 Like

Well that’s awkward ;)

9 Likes

Yeah sorry about that, when he said connector I thought he wasn’t counting that in the 5 hours.

2 Likes

I guess I have to decide wether I want to drive two hours to get out of KSWF and go to ny or nj, or just pay the extra 100-200$ and fly a dash 8 to Philly. Lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info guys! But I have another question now. How does one pick a plane? Can I see the flight number before I pick the ticket and just google it and find a plane there? Or do I even have an option to choose a specific plane?

Dont fly commercial very often obviously.

2 Likes

Google Flights can show you the aircraft most of the time. So does the airline websites most of the time. However, if you’re using a travel website like Skyscanner.com for an example, you will have to search aircraft based on flight number. So either Flightaware.com or Flightradar24.com can help you find which aircraft usually flies a certain route.

1 Like

Avoid flying a EMB-145

1 Like