What makes a soft landing for you? (Grease/butter)

Hola humanoids

Just wanted to ask, what makes a butter/grease for you? The experience?

Peace, ✌️

Sincerest apologies if this is in the wrong section

1 Like

for me? the slightest touch of the tires touching the pavement

1 Like

Don’t get caught up in it. Fly the plane to the ground, set it down, I mean don’t not try to make it smooth to an extent, but set it down, don’t let it just barely touch the ground, much to people’s surprise that’s bad for the aircraft, much worse than a 60-180 FPM still good really anything below 240 isn’t “hard”, but definitive landing. Any pilots manual I’ve seen is pretty explicit don’t float the plane, fly it to the ground. Now don’t mistake me, I’m not trying to tell you to slam the plan, don’t flare, whatever, but if you set it down decisively, but softly on centerline, just past the 1,000ft marker that’s a good landing floating it so that you get the tires to barely skim the ground will in fact damage the plane in many cases…

For anyone who thinks I’m crazy saying that smooth landings (near 0 FPM) can damage planes, I recommend you read below…

6 Likes

Sub 200 ft/min is what I’ll classify as butter.

2 Likes

After reading that I’d say 180-200 fpm. I never thought about “shimmying” but it makes a lot of sense.

Kinda a small window but I hate 300 fpm.

2 Likes

Ya, a Boeing study said that pilots usually report a landing as hard over 240 and have an inspection over 300 or something, but there’s no official number for when you need a hard landing inspection. Boeing aircraft (and I assume airbus is same ballpark) are designed to land up to 600 FPM, 320 above MLW, so you’ll have to really slam it in there to cause serious damage, but here’s a picture of a 737 gear after a particularly serious shimmy event, now shimmy doesn’t usually do this, and shimmy can occur on a heavier landing, but the more the wheel is in contact with the ground while the suspension isn’t loaded generally increases its severity. So suffice to say unless you really slam it in there you’ll probably do more damage trying to do like 2 FPM…

2 Likes

Wow. I would have never thought that… that is for this! Maybe this will help my floating “problem” I just landed in DAL a while ago and I floated trying to “butter” and I still got like 300 fpm.

2 Likes

Ya, floating is definitely a bit hit or miss, it can work out, but work out might be a relative term I suppose. Especially if your pushing the runway distance capabilities of your aircraft, what’s worse, a little bump, or a trip to the grass? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suppose that last point brings up the related topic of irl if your plane landed stiff, there could be a good reason other than a bad pilot. In calm winds, dry runway just about anyone who has enough hours to fly a commercial jet can pull off a good one, but if the runway is wet, snowy, icy, anything that would cause bad breaking action, or the runway is short, whatever, the pilot might have good reason to hit his mark, and make sure the tires stick to the pavement. Winds too, can not only make it hard skill wise, but an unwise idea to land soft because if your wheels are barely on the pavement for a few seconds you can get blow around by the wind.

I should also say, I don’t want this coming off as targeted to you @LoneStarAviation, more a general PSA that smooth landings are not always desirable. Hope it didn’t come off poorly.

2 Likes

I am not offended by this at all. In fact thank you for these tips!

2 Likes

Yep, I figured, I just wanted to make sure you didn’t think I was ranting at you. I suppose I should also mention I’m not a pilot, mechanic, or really qualified to talk about this, I’ve just done a lot of reading up from people who are qualified to talk about this, so I suppose maybe take what I say with a grain of salt, and I definitely encourage everyone here to do more research, but hopefully I’ve been able to spread a little bit of the knowledge I have with everyone.

2 Likes

When the FPV is right on the Horizon just after the “10” from the GPWS

3 Likes

As my grandfather would say, a WW2 B-24 pilot who also flew in Korea. “Any landing you walk away from is a good one”

Pretty sure Ryanair was responsible for a large portion of these landings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.