What is your worst/scariest experience on a flight?

My worst experience was back in 2015. I was departing from Las Vegas on a United 739 with split scimitars (They were fairly new at the time, so it was cool to fly on a plane with them). While we were taxiing to the runway, it started raining, which is somewhat rare for Vegas. We lined up, and the pilots throttled the engines. 2 seconds later, they started braking and aborted the takeoff. They said it was something with the engine’s oil pressure not equalizing. They tried 3 more times to takeoff, letting other planes land and takeoff in the time frame. On the last attempt, everything was great and our takeoff roll was successful. Takeoff was normal. At about 1,000-1,500 ft, our plane “stalled” for a couple of seconds, then we kept on going. I still don’t know if it was a speed stall, or a microburst. Needless to say, my pants were now brown. We continued on and landed in a thunderstorm at Dulles.

9 Likes

Took off from KSJC on a Southwest Airlines B737, N214WN (Maryland One) heading to KPDX.

During the right loop after Runway 30R departure, we hit a microburst and we stalled for like 3 seconds. The engine power went lower. We all felt it. Scariest 3 seconds of the flight.

4 Likes

It is very hard to scare me in a plane I’ve been backseat aerobatics and been in severe turbulence and just sit there laughing at how it look like the plane is flapping its wings

5 Likes

I love watching this XD

Somehow, it is very entertaining!

5 Likes

The plane ran out of coffee while I was heading to Dutch harbor to work,

I really haven’t had any crazy experiences yet as a passenger besides the coffee running out

17 Likes

This is very serious! I would have panicked for sure…

5 Likes

Kids and babies crying behind me.

4 Likes

Lol I am doing a flight tonight, moving back to the States so we shall see what happens!

3 Likes

I HATE THAT they is my peeve other than my little sis invading my seat space

5 Likes

Moderate turbulence descending into Little Rock from Dallas Fort Worth last March. I had just been on an 8 hour red eye from Hawaii to Dallas and had one more flight and that was it. I was hoping for a smooth flight as I was super tired but that did not happen. Turbulence does not scare me. I was just tired and wanted to get home

2 Likes

Also, when I was younger, like 2, my mom and I were flying to Dulles from Frankfurt. She said the plane hit a patch of severe turbulence, and it shook so bad that she said the wings looked like they were about to snap off. (Flexing their muscles too much) needless to say, I was asleep the whole time.

1 Like

When flying back to Alaska from Seattle, these kids were crying, laughing, shouting, and even kicked my chair. I wanted to say something but their mom was right behind me and never said anything to the kids.

3 Likes

Also happened in the summer.

1 Like

I’ve never really had a scary experience on a flight. My dad works for Southwest, and we fly them all the time, to everywhere, from everywhere. But in April, I went on a school choir trip to Disney World, and we flew on American out of KDFW (No joke, that’s the first time I’ve ever flown on something that wasn’t a 737). Our flight back was great until the final descent, which we encountered heavy turbulence (@Lamborghini_Husky I was sitting in an aisle seat, so I couldn’t watch the wings flap :c). Someone a couple rows ahead of us said they felt like we were crashing, which was quite amusing to hear. On a positive side, while we stopped on the taxiway, we got to see a Lufthansa 777-200LR just absolutely roar by us. The trip was fun.

1 Like

Was flying from DFW to XNA on a CRJ. Prior to departure we were told it wasnt going to be a fun flight, flight attendants werent going to be getting up and we were only going up to FL250 to try to avoid upper level winds…

First 20-25 minutes are completely smooth, im like maybe this is going to be an ok trip … start playing around on my phone, we just completely drop (second or so, no telling how much). Phone literally comes out of my hand, goes above my head and then slams down into my lap.

One of our assistant coaches was asleep, wakes up… goes “did we just run over a dog”… everyone starts laughing (even the girls on our team that were crying even had to laugh at it).

Unfortunately it’s given me crazy anxiety flying since. but ive managed.

4 Likes

thousands of times more likely to die in a car crash than in a plane

2 Likes

In the same flight I was talking about above, the flight attendant who was passing the food and drinks never asked my row or the row upfront(where my twinbrother @MasterZekrom was). At least the pilots from Alaska Airlines know how to do a nice landing.

2 Likes

This is true, flying is the safest form of transportation. I think that the reason that some people are scared of flying is not that the plane will go down, it is that if it goes down, they are not going to live. This is all a guess, not a statement. I do not have a fear of flying. If anyone does, could you tell me if I am correct with your situation?

There have been some horrible accidents where many lived

1 Like

Departure out of KMIA to KJFK on an a319 delta, (first of all i had no window seat). We took off and got in to some moderate turbelence, i was used to that as i travel a lot. after an while we were on our descend after an very turbelent flight. The pilot said we were going to have “some turbelence”. It was true, the planes engines started firing from 50% to 100% all the time, it was night so i couldnt see even light. we were shaking and going throuhg air bubbles. The final one got me really good. We needed to go around. and yes we too got in an micro burst. I did get very scared. As we proceeded for the second landing i was just ready to get an extreme hard landing but he made an normal landing. After that scary flight where you cant see an damm and keep litterly getting tossed around in the plane i did rlly doubt if i wanted to do my connecting flight to amsterdam the next morning. I took off 2 days later and had the best experience on an 787 of norwegian. it was awesome, rlly recommended. Although i never wanted to fly again i had the best experience and i o love flying again.

2 Likes